Got to play with a new MX5

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it has cam locks so it should get rid of some of the cheap feel the GT has!

OP
OP
L

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot the price- $ 599.95 and it should be at dealers approx. Sept 30. The new pinpointer should be out by Halloween.

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MX5 vs V3i is the extra money worth it for the V3i?

I was at my local dealer to ask him about a good second machine that I should buy to use on the beach but also in the fields. I have an older Beach Hunter ID with the 950 coil. I use it at the beach and so far...ok. I do end up digging alot of pull tabs but who doesn't if you are looking for gold. What peaked my curiosity was watching vids on youtube about machines with VDI numbers that could signal the small differences between targets. Anyway I went in inquiring about the Coinmaster GT (since my wife would also be using this somedays along side me and for the price) and my dealer quickly showed me the MX5 instead. He spoke of the benefits of how I could change coils in the future and it is a better machine etc. Well this peaked my curiosity of the top machine in the store...V3i. This was so technologically ahead of the MX5 I am wondering if it is worth the extra $. I still work full time as a teacher but I do get my summers off so our family hits the local beaches alot. But with that being said I still only steal away maybe 60 minutes of hunting each time out at the beach. I do want to join a local club and try and get out more. What is your opinion of the MX5 vs the V3i?

Thanks,
Dan

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge difference between a MX5 and a V3i. Price wise, feature wise, and learning curve is worlds apart. I just paid $465 for my new MX5. Whole lot of detector for that price!!! I know the the V3i is top of the line but I can't imagine it being much deeper than my MX5?? I have an SEF coil on mine and have pulled 5 coins at 9"+. Its really a turn on and go detector. You will have 100 coins in your pouch with the MX5 before you figure out the V3I out.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you hunt in the wet (salt) sand, you will need a multi frequency machine. I like the MXT/M6 in the dry sand. I would think the MX5 would be a good choice too. The V3i has stock programs that are pretty good to start with.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge difference between a MX5 and a V3i. Price wise, feature wise, and learning curve is worlds apart. Whole lot of detector for that price!!! I know the the V3i is top of the line but I can't imagine it being much deeper than my MX5?? I have an SEF coil on mine and have pulled 5 coins at 9"+. Its really a turn on and go detector. You will have 100 coins in your pouch with the MX5 before you figure out the V3I out.

Yes the MX5 is a very easy machine to use!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread