Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda know nothing about buttons, but from my general memory of what I've seen posted on here before, the button on the left kinda looks like the typical Civil War button or something. Both were found near each other in a yard that's only maybe 60 years old I guess. Maybe they're not too old, but figured I'd post em. Interestingly, I found the bullet not far from the police button too. ::) Also got a fairly large compact or container of some sort and a ring that I appear to make out 18k in the markings, but it doesn't look like solid gold. It did ring up like a tab though. Also got some wheats, clad, and a few other items. I've hit this yard before and found a few modern silver coins.

danA.jpg

danB.jpg

danC.jpg

danD.jpg

danE.jpg

This is my first post this year; I've been so busy with school, but I have gotten out a little bit and found a few mercs and a few other things. We're kinda running out of spots to hit around here...gotta take some time and dig up some new sites that are a longer drive away. Makes for less frequent metal detecting.
Anyway thanks for any comments on the buttons or whatever. Take care yall!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
The eagle button certainly looks to be a CW era General Service button, but without reading the bottom of the backmark it is hard to know for sure. Best guess is 1837-1866. http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html

Nice going!

Oh wow thanks for the great site! Cleaned it better and can read HORSTMANN BROS & CO narrowing it down nicely. Thanks a lot!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds,
the Police button could also be CW era, I have a Script PP two piece, (Their records indicate this was made for Peabody Ma Police Dept) with the "Scoville & Co' BM.
Jewelery grade gold can become pitted as the base metals leach out.
Have that ring tested by someone who knows how to do it right.
Keep on Diggin! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

Eagle button is definitely Civil War-era, police button almost positive is post-CW based on the backmark having no serifs and a couple other minor details. The ring marked 18K should still appear gold if it were real. It was common practice to counterfeit rings just like the coins.. They would mark them 14 or 18K, gold plate them and sell them as solid gold bands.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those buttons are awesome, good digs!

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
As stated, I think the button is Civil War General Service. Tice only has one General Service button listed with the backmark "Horstmann Bros & Co / Phil." The difference being the Phil, most have Phi or Phila. So, I THINK you may have Tice ( Albert's GI 94A ) GEN215-A16. Pretty sure yours looks like it has a Phil. on it as well.

Very nice gutton no matter what it is :)

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I had to use a toothbrush to scrub behind the shank and now I can clearly read PHIL to complete the backmark. Very cool. Thanks everyone for the kind and helpful comments!

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nate, Nice buttons. Good to see you post, hope everything is will with you. Any chance you'll be making this years DFXonly.com hunt in PA?

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Nate. :thumbsup:

Hope your dad`s doing well.

B|lker in NC.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
They're definitely something :wink:. I've found several rings that had "14K" or "18K" on them that were obviously only plated. Makes your heart skip a beat, though!

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schrecky said:
Hey Nate, Nice buttons. Good to see you post, hope everything is will with you. Any chance you'll be making this years DFXonly.com hunt in PA?
Thanks Dan, I hope you're doing great too. I would really like to although I'm a little hesitant with my dad not going; wouldn't know many people at all, not that I can't make new friends, but I'll think about it. :) I know I should probably decide soon so I can get my paperwork/reservations in and stuff.

B|lker said:
Nice finds Nate. :thumbsup:
Hope your dad`s doing well.
B|lker in NC.
Thanks, yep he's doing well and digging some interesting things now and then. :)

halfdime said:
They're definitely something :wink:. I've found several rings that had "14K" or "18K" on them that were obviously only plated. Makes your heart skip a beat, though!
Thanks halfdime. lol yea I definitely got excited at first. It's still neat anyway. Hope all's well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread