Gots to find that Silver!!!

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi everyone!

I have noticed that silver seems to be a "big" find in detecting as well as much sought after when coin roll hunting. Of course, I'll be super excited when I dig up my first silver coin (did find a nice sterling bookmark the other day, still need to post pics).

Anyhow, just wondering why everyone finds silver to be the the biggy? Do you save them, collect them, melt them ...shhh... I didn't say that :o

Thanks,
Stacey

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Several reasons, among them, they are worth more as collectible, the metal itself is worth money, silver coins have been gone from production for more than forty years, silver coins tend to hold their appearance after years in the ground, etc.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess one answer might be because it's so much more rare to find..especially the coins (which have been obsolete for more than 40 years). Most people in the hobby check out public places, and finding even a single silver dime is rare - but when you do, it's a great feeling.

And just like you say, being excited about finding it is all the more reason to make a quest of it.

Nat

OP
OP
Chibuya

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
Thanks for your responses. For me as you mentioned, the older the find the better. It's that lost treasure, and now I found it feeling!

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is because silver is the most valueable "rare" thing that can be "commonly" found on a very regular basis. Also silver and gold = treasure! I know that I'm super happy if I find silver.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
a big part of it for me is the thrill of seeing that shiney silver come out of the ground! theres nothing like the sight of an old merc coming out of the ground............except for maybe a barber dime, or a seated, or a standing lib, or a spanish reale, or a walker, or a morgan, and so on, and so on, and so on.................. ;D

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
It is a great thrill to see the sparkle of a silver coin in black soil. The only better thing I can think of is being in a clear lake and seeing the color of gold in a water scoop halfway up. thats a real thrill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread