Gotta love the South

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a little local store a few days ago and struck up a conversation with a man about the local history. Another gentleman walked up and joined the conversation. I have bought and sold a little farm equipment with him over the last few years and he told me of an old cemetary beside his home. When I left I drove out to his house to see it. The dates went back to the early 1800's. Ran into him Monday and he told me of an old log cabin that was within 150 yrds of the cemetary and more or less right in front of his current home. He had hauled off what was left of the cabin about 20 years ago. When asked, he gave me the go ahead to Metal Detect the property. The home sits in the middle of 400+ acres he owns. Most of which is a cattle operation. In a few minutes it was easy to tell an old house had been there. Have only got to hunt about 30 minutes and have yet to find a coin but found several shotgun hulls and lots of brass and iron trash. Absolutely nothing in modern trash. He came out today and offered to show me a big spring in the hollow a couple of hundred yards below the area I was hunting. Then an old stage coach road and another old home site on the other side of his property. Just the hand dug well is all that really even shows it was there visually. When I got back to the truck ( rain got me again ) he had a couple of dozen tomatoes, a bag of sweet corn and a bag of squash he had picked waiting for me.

The cemetary
Donnie Mikel 001.JPG Donnie Mikel 003.JPG Donnie Mikel 004.JPG Donnie Mikel 007.JPG Donnie Mikel 008.JPG Donnie Mikel 009.JPG

His home
Donnie Mikel 015.JPG Donnie Mikel 016.JPG Donnie Mikel 023.JPG Donnie Mikel 025.JPG

The other home site with well is just this side of tree
Donnie Mikel 018.JPG

Log cabin site
Donnie Mikel 014.JPG

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woops....forgot the junk I dug
Donnie Mikel 029.JPG

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way Cool!

Sounds like the best hunting grounds that there is. Food is always the best find.:laughing7:

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking spot I hope it gives up some real goodies. Id buy the landowner a big gift certificate to some nice steak house.

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep....most of the graves are just marked with old flat stones. Lots of them like that around here.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That place looks like a gold mine for sure,Good luck hunting it and looking forward to seeing posts.:icon_thumleft:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing. Hope you make some great finds,you sure have found some good people ,a treasure in itself. The kind i like to say go on the christmas card list,much as i dislike getting them out. Enjoy your hunts!.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread