Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hypocritical

TREMONT - Some area miners say they may refuse to implement federally-mandated personal tracking and communication systems, arguing the devices have been poorly tested and could actually put anthracite coal miners at more risk.

The mines must submit a set of plans to the Mine Safety and Health Administration today, but worry the wireless communication devices could interfere with electronic detonators used in mine blasting and cause premature explosions.

Miners say using the wireless devices conflict with many existing safety regulations.

Dyno Nobel Inc., an explosives manufacturer, says no personal communication equipment - including cell phones and hand-held radios - should be used when blasting with electric detonators, whether on or off.

The Institute of Explosive Makers requires a minimum separation of five feet, miners said, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations require 300 feet.

Rothermel said a recent MSHA test showed the equipment induces a current on the electric blasting circuit.

"Their test results showed that it wasn't sufficient to initiate the blast," Rothermel said. "But holy heck, if it put some on, that's probably too much."

http://www.republicanherald.com/new...andated_tracking_systems_put_miners_in_danger

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal mining authorities: new tracking systems safe

Miners had also said MSHA told them of only one recorded accident involving premature detonation of an electronic detonator involving wireless communication devices, but the IMA's research turned up several other similar accidents. Chirdon said MSHA was aware of the accidents in question, and had expressed this knowledge.

http://www.republicanherald.com/news/federal_mining_authorities_new_tracking_systems_safe

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My experience with MSHA has been that they could give a crap whether you live or die underground as a miner .
You just better get yourself killed according to their guidelines or they are going to fine the hell out of your company and your corpse .
Don't respond to this upholding them unless you went underground prior to 1970 and spent more than 20 years underground .... I been there and done that .

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is political please delete :tongue3:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
aa battery said:
this is political please delete :tongue3:
NOT!!! Common sense versus federal regs for the safety of the working man underground .
Buddy , I know you did post this as a tongue in cheek joke .
It is just too serious an issue to be made light of .
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread