GPAA Alaska Expedition, any previous attendees?

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
hey im looking into going to Alaska and or the Yukon this in mid July and ive been looking at the GPAA Alaska Expedition
I was wondering if anyone has been to it and how good it actually is and if i put forth a valiant effort of 10+ hours a day prospecting + MD ing under average conditions how much gold i can expect.... reasonably. I dont need to hear all the traditional "you get out of it what you put in" and "depends on how much you work" and all that jazz for responses. Just a summary of how well others have done. And how is the fishing there because i will be taking my father there and he has A.D.D. and will probably go fishing if he doesnt get nuggets or whatever... I personally dont care how big the gold is so long as its there. I was also wondering if anyone has knowledge of any tour companies or guides in AK or Yukon who will allow prospecting on their claims. Thanks for any info anyone can offer.

Upvote 0

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Personally I am saving my money for something a bit less traveled then the GPAA camps.
I am hoping, saving and praying for a 2009 trek to Moorecreek, Rampart, Gain or Circle.

From watching the Outdoor Channel your dad will have fun fishing for salmon on the arctic creek and Cripple river.

For Detectors Moore Creek is priced similarly a bit more "rustic". But it is designed more for detectors then Cripple River.

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi: the camp at Cripple River is a great place to go,work for gold etc. The more experienced
beach miners can take an ounce a day with hard work and some prospecting. Detectorists are tight lipped on the area but occasionally do very well. Rent the AtV, get out of the main camp and explore. You can find from1 to 3 ounces a week with a detector if you know what,where etc. done it. Lots to do if you want to prospect and do well get out from main camp and use the outlying camps,most people do not and some go away unhappy with what they did not find in gold but happy for the experience. You will always find gold,effort,knowledge,and a little prospectors luck you can do well. Do not go for one week do two. Remember this is far North Alaska, weather rules the situation,from near 80 to freezing at anytime there. Thats about it in a nutshell. YOU CAN FIND IT THERE just go with an open mind and willingness to work. HARDROCK ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread