GPAA Alaska Trip?

MichaelR

Oct 21, 2006
I am considering going on the GPAA Alaska expedition to Cripple Creek outside of Nome. Anyone ever been on this trip and have any feedback?

Here is what I think I will like about this trip:

1) Good accommodations (heat, hot water, food, electric, etc.)
2) Enough people that I may be able to find some folks to tag along with at times since I will be travelling by myself
3) Attending some of their training sessions and learning a thing or two

My concerns:

1) While I enjoy panning/sluicing/etc... they tend to eventually feel like work, whereas when detecting I never lose that feeling of "hunting". I am concerned that this particular area is almost all about fine beach gold and that this will not be a very productive area for metal detecting. True or false?
2) Mosquitoes... I cannot determine if this is as bad around the ocean as it is in the interior but I have seen some home videos of the mosquito clouds up in Alaska that put the fear of god in me!

Really hoping someone can give me some opinions to sway me one way or the other on this trip!
Michael

Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Mike, I went up to C.R. fer 6 Weeks back in 1988! I don't know how much it's changed since then!
As far as what you will like about the trip, you hit the nail on the head on all 3. You won't be disappointed there!
Now, on your concerns, #1, is True, on the beach! However, the creeks ,etc may be Nugget Grounds?
#2. Mosquito's: The year I was there, there was no problem at all! But take along plenty of 100% DEET Repellent in case!
Also, the Fishing is Fantastic, but you must buy a License! Salmon, Salmon, Salmon!
One more thing, Mike, Prices in Nome are Ridiculous! Make sure you bring everything you will need! If you don't find any Nugget's, don't worry! You can buy them up there!

All in All, Mike, I recommend going! You will love the Country, & the GPAA Members!
If you have any other questions, let me know!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread