GPS Advice Needed Please

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm smarter than the average bear when it comes to computers (I worked for Apple as a Creative) but this GPS stuff has me flummoxed.

I have a GARMIN I just bought for my car, but I'd like to be able to use it for relic hunting. Some old/new map sites allow me to get "coordinates" but then when I enter them into Google Maps they end up in Antarctica or something! What the blazes am I doing wrong? And how can I transfer maps to my Garmin? But MOSTLY what I want to know is how can I use the longitude / latitude I find on old maps to find relic sites using my Garmin? I don't even know where to enter them in!

It seems every thing I try I hit a brick wall and I feel really really stupid!

Ahhhhh! HELP!

Anyone?

I'm not even opposed to buying a different GPS (though I would rather not spend the cash) but I guess if I have to...

I've got an iPhone (4) so maybe that's the answer? Or maybe a way to link to the Garmin? (both have Bluetooth).

What do all you GPS users use?

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try a youtube search with out knowing what model you have its a bit difficult to help you.

YouTube
try and use the following to search on youtube, just replace xxx with your model number
garmin xxx entering longitude and latitude

OP
OP
A

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Thank you! I just took a quick look and it looks AWESOME! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm smarter than the average bear when it comes to computers (I worked for Apple as a Creative) but this GPS stuff has me flummoxed.

I have a GARMIN I just bought for my car, but I'd like to be able to use it for relic hunting. Some old/new map sites allow me to get "coordinates" but then when I enter them into Google Maps they end up in Antarctica or something! What the blazes am I doing wrong? And how can I transfer maps to my Garmin? But MOSTLY what I want to know is how can I use the longitude / latitude I find on old maps to find relic sites using my Garmin? I don't even know where to enter them in!

It seems every thing I try I hit a brick wall and I feel really really stupid!

Ahhhhh! HELP!

Anyone?

I'm not even opposed to buying a different GPS (though I would rather not spend the cash) but I guess if I have to...

I've got an iPhone (4) so maybe that's the answer? Or maybe a way to link to the Garmin? (both have Bluetooth).

What do all you GPS users use?

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

The last thing I would use is a smart phone GPS! Once cell signal is lost, the GPS in these phones will not work! Your mobile unit will get you to where you need to go by vehicle. But after this I would have a hand held unit like any of the Garmin's with the HCx antenna. These units will work under heavy tree cover, and they work independent. Only the satellite signals from space will be needed, unlike a cell phone signal. Google Earth will show you the coordinates that you can write down then enter into a GPS unit. Also, another website NETR Online • Historic Aerials will give you the GPS coordinates you need for a particular area. Another thing, a hand held unit can give you more info on a particular area, such as elevation, cliffs, water hazards, topographic lines, and also allow you to store and save your waypoints.

It would be nice to know what model you have, I can then show you where to add them coordinates in your mobile unit. But in the Where you want to go area you should be able to type in the numbers.

I use NETR Online • Historic Aerials and Google Earth to obtain coordinates for the areas I plan on entering.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread