Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fruitbat said:
I've been thinking of getting a GPS for my out of town CRHing trips to help me find the banks instead of just riding around and getting lost a lot.

What a coincidence. I just bought one last Friday for the same reason. I got a Mio Moov 310 at Circuit Circus. ($50 off) It is great. It has little icons for "points of interest" You can turn on/off each "POI" class. I keep on BANKS (for CRH) plus PARKS & SCHOOLS (for MDing)

I have an old book on California Ghost towns. I typed in a few town names and it knew where it was at, figured the route and gave the miles.

I want to learn hot to give longitude and latitude coordinates, have not figured that out yet. It does not come with an instruction book, just a CD and that is only the basics.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go to Google maps, enter bank and a city name and it will give you all the banks, adresses, phone numbers and a map to their locations instantly. As you "scroll" the map it will keep showing you more banks. Beats the cost of a gps. ;D

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using one for a while now. It is a Garmin. It provides the bank address, phone number & of course it will map out the bank. I think a 'must have' for road trips.....very convenient.

Obviously there are other options/alternatives other than a GPS such as PB's suggestion.

Good luck.

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
I have set up the gps in my Avalon to show banks (CRH) schools and parks (MDing). It is a great tool for working new areas.

OP
OP
Fruitbat

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well now that I've decided that it's a "must have" I got to figure out where to get one. I've been looking at them on Ebay. anyone bought one from there? I got to hint to the wife that it would make a GREAT father's day gift.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was waiting for my daughter to get ready for school this AM (we leave at 6:30) I started playing around with my new GPS. I found a bank right next to her high school that I didn't even know existed. (I have lived in this town 15 years) It is a business complex and very small signs. My GPS took me right to it. I will hit it this saturday, if it is open. We have a few business banks in this town that are only open 9-5 monday - friday. (or even less)

Also found another bank close by, will try it out too.

TechLaw

May 17, 2008
If you have a laptop that you always keep with you, consider Microsoft Streets and Trips - the 2008
version with a GPS is only $73.99 from CDW - I expect other outlets have a similar price.

Delorme also has a package with GPS and software - probably at a similar price.

The advantage of having the software on your laptop is that you can pick the banks you want to hit from
a web search and cut and paste the addresses and build an optimized map before you even go outside.

The downside is of course that you have a laptop next to you (or on your passengers lap) and the screen isn't on
your dash or windshield, but for a very nominal sum you get yourself into the technology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread