Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hunting an old mill site deep in the woods. It is heavily wooded, lots of obstacles. I carry my handheld Garmin 60csx with me and mark when I find a good item. I can see pockets that I have not detected and see where the concentration of goodies tend to be. I just started using this technique and I think it will help with detector coverage as well as see where persons concregated based on concentration of finds. Bryan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your doing is sound recovery methods and research. Having info like this is most valuable in locating a pattern not counting getting back to the vehicle.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I bought a GPSr for Geocaching, and though it's a novel and new activity I enjoy, after finding so many caches filled with temp tatoos, rubber balls, dead batteries, and moldy stuffed toys, I'm really missing MDing and the potential to find something of value. Now I intend to use the GPSr in the manner Bryan described, as a tool for location marking and of course, directions back to the car :D

One thing Geocaching has done for me, though, is lead me to potential MD locations I never would have dreamed of finding, so I will continue to Geocache, if for this reason only :-\

Dick

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the ability to upload tracks and waypoints to a mapping program on your computer it makes a great record keeping tool. You can always double check yourself to see if you missed any areas and look for patterns of your finds to see if they may be linked to other nearby terrain features such as a crossing or a gap that may be in the area.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWnut said:
If you have the ability to upload tracks and waypoints to a mapping program on your computer it makes a great record keeping tool. You can always double check yourself to see if you missed any areas and look for patterns of your finds to see if they may be linked to other nearby terrain features such as a crossing or a gap that may be in the area.

I just sent you an email, I am a fireman too. I have used my GPS on 2 hunts so far at a remote mill site of which there are few visual signs of it ever having existed. I have marked my coin finds and am starting to see a pattern and where acivity took place. It is very interesting. I have only found 4 coins thus far, but surely there are more there. Bryan

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the Garmin 60csx, its a great unit.

I don't know if your already using the tracks function but if you are not you may find this to be helpful too. By setting the gps to store your tracks, especially at a higher interval than the default, I do mine at "most often", you can then load all the areas you have detected into a program when you go home. I use National Geographics TOPO software for this purpose. When you save a spot that you found treasure into your gps your basically creating a waypoint. When you load the gps data into a software program like I described you will see a clear picture of all your detecting efforts over a given area in addition to the waypoints that you created when you found treasure. The advantage of this method is that it further helps to identify potential areas of treasure by showing not only the locations you found treasure but also all the area you've covered at a particular site and didn't find treasure. Given the fact that you can name your waypoints, such as coin or gold ring, can also help to keep the exact location of each particular find in order as opposed to using just the preassigned waypoint numbers 001, 002, 003, etcetera.

You should make certain to clear out any previously save tracks before starting your hunt in order to keep the file as clear as possible.

The picture is just an example not an actual hunt.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• EXAMPLE.jpg
    EXAMPLE.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
I also have the Garmin 60csx, its a great unit.

I don't know if your already using the tracks function but if you are not you may find this to be helpful too. By setting the gps to store your tracks, especially at a higher interval than the default, I do mine at "most often", you can then load all the areas you have detected into a program when you go home. I use National Geographics TOPO software for this purpose. When you save a spot that you found treasure into your gps your basically creating a waypoint. When you load the gps data into a software program like I described you will see a clear picture of all your detecting efforts over a given area in addition to the waypoints that you created when you found treasure. The advantage of this method is that it further helps to identify potential areas of treasure by showing not only the locations you found treasure but also all the area you've covered at a particular site and didn't find treasure. Given the fact that you can name your waypoints, such as coin or gold ring, can also help to keep the exact location of each particular find in order as opposed to using just the preassigned waypoint numbers 001, 002, 003, etcetera.

You should make certain to clear out any previously save tracks before starting your hunt in order to keep the file as clear as possible.

The picture is just an example not an actual hunt.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Man that is awesome. I was wondering how to do that, put it on a map. Where can I get that National Geographic software for my computer? Thanks for the great info, Bryan

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine at REI but I'm certain it's available elsewhere and that there are also other makers whose software will do the same thing. One thing that I will say about the NG software though is that it will easily and quickly recognise the 60csx, so it's no hassle loading your data into the software program.

Also the NG software goes down fairly close on the topo maps, 1:24,000 scale. Some others don't go down to that so be sure to check that first. I purchased the New England version as that's the region of the country where I live. A localized version will serve you better in most cases. They sell versions for other parts of the country as well.

http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=NATIONAL+GEOGRAPHIC&x=34&y=17

Johnny Cache Hunter

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine at REI but I'm certain it's available elsewhere and that there are also other makers whose software will do the same thing. One thing that I will say about the NG software though is that it will easily and quickly recongise the 60csx, so it's no hassle loading your data into the software program.

Also the NG software goes down fairly close on the topo maps, 1:24,000 scale. Some others don't go down to that so be sure to check that first. I purchased the New England version as that's the region of the country where I live. A localized version will serve you better in most cases. They sell version for other parts of the country.

http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=NATIONAL+GEOGRAPHIC&x=34&y=17

Johnny Cache Hunter

Do these CD's cover the entire state, or just parks/major cities. I live outside Wilson, NC. I see that they have one that covers North and South Carolina, is this 100% of the states? Thanks

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 100% of the stated area, not just the parks. So for example, the New England CD I have covers all of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

They do also sell a version for national parks only but I don't really see the point unless you're going to visit many national parks across many states.

Johnny Cach Hunter

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 100% of the stated area, not just the parks. So for example, the New England CD I have covers all of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

They do also sell a version for national parks only but I don't really see the point unless you're going to visit many national parks across many states.

Johnny Cach Hunter

Thanks, I will have to look into getting a copy.

garym94931

Jan 21, 2008
i bought NG topo software at REI also... but for some reason, it doesn't show the detail i had hoped it would so i use a gps system as well that superimposes my track onto google earth. i don't have a gps that is compatible with NG Topo though, so maybe if i had one i'd be more impressed. as it is, i can see trails on google earth, for example, but that are not showing on NG Topo.. and the trails is supposed to be the best benefit on NG Topo..

i guess its helpful, though, since you've found it so.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garym94931 said:
i bought NG topo software at REI also... but for some reason, it doesn't show the detail i had hoped it would so i use a gps system as well that superimposes my track onto google earth. i don't have a gps that is compatible with NG Topo though, so maybe if i had one i'd be more impressed. as it is, i can see trails on google earth, for example, but that are not showing on NG Topo.. and the trails is supposed to be the best benefit on NG Topo..

i guess its helpful, though, since you've found it so.

How do you superimpose your tracks on google earth? I would love to be able to do that.

garym94931

Jan 21, 2008
its pretty cool, actually. i can't recall if its the software from the gps unit itself or a program that works with it. the gps is a forerunner 305. once i upload it to the desktop, it asks if i would like to view it on google earth & i just say yes.. and it does it without any further input from me.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garym94931 said:
its pretty cool, actually. i can't recall if its the software from the gps unit itself or a program that works with it. the gps is a forerunner 305. once i upload it to the desktop, it asks if i would like to view it on google earth & i just say yes.. and it does it without any further input from me.

OK, come to think of it, I have seen that I can click on google earth, I just have never used it when I had my tracks showing. I will have to try it when I get home. I am at work at the fire station until the morning. Take care and thanks for the tips! Bryan

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding waypoints and tracks to google earth is possible but requires google earth plus.
Google earth plus is reasonably priced at $20.00 per year.

http://earth.google.com/earth_plus.html

Johnny Cache Hunter

PS: By the way, with the NG software you can zoom in and then magnify getting you again fairly close to seeing just where you've been. Also it can export waypoints and tracks to your gps as well as import from them. Something google can't go. Google can only import from the device not out to it.

I also use google to mark the locations of finds, as well as potential hunting sites, so I do think if you haven't already purchased software to do these things it may serve you better to pay the $20.00 and go with the Google Earth plus. I had already owned this software for other purposes, such as hiking, geocaching trips, etcetera, so I used what I had on hand. You can see in the link below how I use google, right now, in addition to the NG software. Honestly though, I think Gary may have hit the perfect nail on the head for what you need.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,133369.msg960382.html#msg960382

JCH

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding waypoints and tracks to google earth is possible but requires google earth plus.
Google earth plus is reasonably priced at $20.00 per year.

http://earth.google.com/earth_plus.html

Johnny Cache Hunter

PS: By the way, with the NG software you can zoom in and then magnify getting you again fairly close to seeing just where you've been. Also it can export waypoints and tracks to your gps as well as import from them. Something google can't go. Google can only import from the device not out to it.

I also use google to mark the locations of finds, as well as potential hunting sites, so I do think if you haven't already purchased software to do these things it may serve you better to pay the $20.00 and go with the Google Earth plus. I had already owned this software for other purposes, such as hiking, geocaching trips, etcetera, so I used what I had on hand. You can see in the link below how I use google, right now, in addition to the NG software. Honestly though, I think Gary may have hit the perfect nail on the head for what you need.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,133369.msg960382.html#msg960382

JCH

That is great info, thanks so much, BP

BigChief14

Jan 22, 2008
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III SL
I've used my Garmin for about 6 years while turkey hunting. IMO GPS technology is the very best thing the US Govt. has ever done to help the average person. OK maybe overstating things a bit, but I can't imagine going into the woods without it now. I'm fairly new to MD'ing but I know that now when I find a good site while hunting turkeys It'll be on my Garmin so I can come back with my detector.

Also, I've found lots of good area to turkey hunt on Topozone, then set the coordinates into the GPS and hit the GoTo function, and walk right into a great hunting area. Kinda like scouting an area from my living room. I'm sure this would work for finding great MD'ing sites.

JS

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
I have a Megellan Sport that I use for hunting and now I also use it to map out an area that I hunt for just the purpose of gathering trend data. I also use a large map for a quick visual key as well as to aid in planning my next location. Great ideas. I am faily new at this and reading all the books on MDing I don 't think any of them mentioned tracking your finds this way. A log is all that I can remember any book recommending. Thanks for sharing, it's a great tip for anyone to use.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just signed up for google earth and it puts all of my tracks from my Garmin on the satellite map. It works awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions