GPS

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I have a Garmin Nuvi (cannot think of the model # of the top of my head) that I use for basic navigation, but have used it for geocaching as well. Seems to work better for navigation, although it is equipped with a "walk" function, where it updates at a slower pace. I haven't considered using it for detecting, only because it was really expensive and I'd hate to lose it or damage it!

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
still haven't figured out why I'd use one if I'm within a couple hours walk of a Burger King...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a garmin etrex
got about 75 % figured out
dont use it as much as i thought i needed to
maybe in the summer in the woods this year more often

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
As I said I've got a couple Garmin hand held units. I also had them from geocaching. I never have used them for detecting. They would work to get back to a site or spot in the woods, but the site would really have to be deep in the wilderness to need one.

Just for the fun if you got one try this. They have a feature, referred to as a popcorn trail. Fiend, the Etrex has it. Turn the unit on and leave on until you come back. The unit draws a dotted line on the screen as you walk. You can't believe what your hunting pattern looks like. HH Rob

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Thanks for the replies! The bigger question is would I use it enough to justify the cost?
I would need one like Treasurefiend mentioned that gets a good signal deep in the woods as the location I would be primarily using it is in the UP where the forest is pretty thick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread