63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm Zig-Zag, to me you sound like a person with a serious Adventure ahead of you! I look forward to the response's to your question and I wish you the best of luck on your Quest!..................63bkpkr

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Purchased the 5000 on the 25th of June... ex demo model so i got a nice deal.. Pulled a 2gr nugget my 2nd time out.. and a lot of little stuff also..

The 4500 in is capable of detecting very small nuggets. the 5000 will just get them deeper.. the 4000 is capable of pinging a 6 grain nugget... just not at any great depth..

OP
OP
Z

Zig-Zag

Greenie
Jun 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63, it sure is an adventure riding around these mountains on a moto. Is the 5000 easier to use? It seemed so simple to dial up Fine Gold on it. The price difference between a used 5000 and 4500 seems too wide to justify atm.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They're simple machines, read the manual set it up and go for a swing... Plenty of videos and sites dedicated to setup and use...

I would go for an older GP or GPX... The 4000 is a great option.. Hits on small gold and goes deep, a good SD 2200 GP extreme or 3000.. 3500... They all found gold and will continue to do so... All you're getting with the 4500-5000 and whatever comes next is sensitivity to smaller gold, maybe gain some depth... And some signal processing features..

Until 6 months ago I was swinging an SD 2100... And finding gold... Do your area research... How deep is the gold? etc.. Buy a detector to match conditions... I run primarily VLF machines because the gold in my area is small and very fine..
But occasionally find some larger 2-3 gram chunks.... Last year with the above mentioned SD 2000 I pulled a very nice 14gram nugget.

Anyway hope this helps somewhat..

OP
OP
Z

Zig-Zag

Greenie
Jun 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Aus. The gold here is small and fine, but theres lots of volcanics and black sand. I'm having a tough time deciding between a VLF and a PI, I guess I'll have to try both eventually...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread