Grade please! My 1st 1909-S VDB

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
ForumRunner_20120831_130249.png

ForumRunner_20120831_130236.png

I am so so excited never thought I would own this coin!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome looks like its in pretty good condition

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice coin. It was produced from Die #2. Overall, I think it is better than Good, but there isn't enough detail on the wheat heads to meet a Very Good rating. Still a very nice addition to any collection. Congratulations.

OP
OP
dustywallen

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Diver_Down said:
Nice coin. It was produced from Die #2. Overall, I think it is better than Good, but there isn't enough detail on the wheat heads to meet a Very Good rating. Still a very nice addition to any collection. Congratulations.

What you think it is worth?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln Penny Value | Discover Their Values

About $550 to $1000 depending on condition. From the looks of yours Id say between $750 & $1050 is a reasonable estimate as yours looks to be in pretty nice condition. Maybe even more to the right buyer, I've seen them go for over $1250 before.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Everybody makes mistakes. I'm willing to admit mine. I was wrong with my grade. The thought process is the same but it didn't translate to written medium. Overall, I would think it is Very Fine with not enough detail on the wheat heads to meet an Extra Fine rating.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful, beautiful coin. Congratulations! And yes, it's probably worth every bit of $1000+. It is in fantastic condition.

OP
OP
dustywallen

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
I will say that we are very thankful to have this coin. As we stated earlier never thought we would. We gave $798 for it off eBay. It was a buy it now listing as soon as it was listed. I feel as if the coin is for sure worth that.

kenw2937

Sep 1, 2012
Congratulations... That looks to be an extremely nice 1909 s vdb!! I would be proud of yourself... Looks like a strong VF with few distractions. Patina looks great Undisturbed to the naked eye!

OP
OP
dustywallen

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Yes it for sure does not have appearance of being cleaned. It appears that the coin was in circulation for 10-20 years maybe if that. It has been in the hands of a collector for a while. I saved the Mylar flip it came in taped it on my desk. They sure was a big smile came across my face when I placed it in the dansco album. This week we bought it a 1914-D, and a 1931-s. Came to the realization of going through 100's of 1000's of "unsearched" Wheaties that we would be better off just buying some straight up.

DarioMontesdeOca

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rare coin for sure and exactly the one I need for my folder! ;)
How did you come to own this piece?

OP
OP
dustywallen

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Believe it or not bought it on eBay for $800. I believe it was a fair deal not the best not the worse. It was newly listed on the buy it now feature. I have a complete set of Lincoln cents am currently completely uncirculated from 1939-2012. Hope to eventually get completely uncirculated. This is my investment for retirement. Have played the silver and gold game and has been very good to us. But as of now we are just putting the emphasis of our collecting on Lincoln cents. Am still saving the silver and gold we get from metal detecting but other than that we are really enjoying the journey of the Lincoln cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread