hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone. I'm a regular on the CRH forum, but have some questions that might be better suited to this forum's audience.

I've come accross some very new 1995 (and a couple 1996) half dollars. These things are in VERY nice conditions compared to circulated coins. I don't know if they've been out of their original brinks wrappers. My question is, how do I determine if I should try to get some of these graded?

When I look at them with a CHEAP jewlers loupe, I can easily see that even the best coins have 2 areas with small blemished (bag marks). Does that mean these would grade too poorly to be worth the cost? Ebay appears to bring $20 for an MS68 kennedy half. Is MS 68 a flawless coin? How rare would it be to find an MS68 (not in circulation, but what are the odds one leave the mint in that state)?

After the cost of grading, fees, and shipping, this seems to be cost prohibitive. I'd love to hear thoughts. I can't really find a website with good images of higher grade modern half dollars to even see if I've got a shot at a high grade. Think coin shops would be more likely to be interested? I feel like I'd likely get lowballed (understandable that they need to make money, but I'm willing to do the work if there is money to be made).

Thanks for your advice!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An ms68 would be very unlikely. Most of these higher grade coins come from mint sets where there is no rubbing or contact from other coins. If you see any blemishes, then they are not ms68. I just can't see where there is any profit to be made over face value.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. I think one of the problems with learning the hobby from the internet is that I miss a lot of the hands on experience. I've never seen a real life graded coin, so pictures only go so far. Thanks for saving me a bunch of time and effort!

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh,
As for the PCGS, I did try that, but my coins are bright and shiny. I know that toning doesn't always affect the value, but it's hard to see if there are blemishes through all those colors. I DO think there is a big difference between MS65 and MS66. I think mine look like MS65, but I think I might be able to find one or two that could be better. It's just so hard to say.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just realized the pics are cliackable (to zoom). That actually helps a bit. Even the MS 67 looks like it has a fingerprint on the neck. I dunno. I might try and post a couple rolls on ebay and describe them as "nice" since I'm obviosuly not capable of guessing at the grade (-:

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
hokiemojo said:
I just realized the pics are cliackable (to zoom). That actually helps a bit. Even the MS 67 looks like it has a fingerprint on the neck. I dunno. I might try and post a couple rolls on ebay and describe them as "nice" since I'm obviosuly not capable of guessing at the grade (-:

If you put a grade on it and throw it on eBay and the buyer receives the coin and don't agree with grade they can return it. Just a little heads up

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you put a grade on it and throw it on eBay and the buyer receives the coin and don't agree with grade they can return it. Just a little heads up

Also you can't put a grade in the title without it being slabbed according to the new eBay rules.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth I CRH for halves and have found numerous 95s and 96s that look really good. I thought it was odd that they looked so much better than the other circulated halves. But I have found so many of them I assume they are not valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread