sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What does everyone use for grading their coins? Also, how much does it cost? Trying to get some of my better coins graded. Anything would be great.

NGC, PCGS, or ANACS are the best companies (in that order). ANACS is the best for dug coins, since they will actually grade them. It usually costs about $30.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sag, why is NGC better than PCGS? All my slabbed coins are PCGS. No particular reason I have all PCGS, I just don't have anything else.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I the only person who thinks "how do you know they are worth grading"? A little education goes a long way guys...

Sagittarius: All of those companies offer "genuine/details" grading, not just ANACS.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sagittarius: All of those companies offer "genuine/details" grading, not just ANACS.

Ok, thanks. I just found out that they put them in Genuine slabs (PCGS since 2008). I always thought they "body bagged" them, but that must have been because of so many banner and other good finds I've read that were pretty old.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG. My order of preference. PCGS and NGC must be a member or go through a dealer to submit. ANACS and ICG, I think anyone can submit coins. Learn to grade prior to sending coins in. Many books and internet sites to help you there. Coins don't need to be in a slab, but they sure are much easier to sell with a PCGS on the label. I am not a big fan of the plastic coffins, but when its time to sell, my better coins go to PCGS.

treidm

Mar 10, 2013
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
~MineLab Explorer XS~
~10.5” DD, 8" Concentric~
~Sun Ray X-1 Target Probe~
~GreyGhost Nugget Buster NDT~
~ML XT 18000 - 10" Elliptical DD~
~Lesche Tools & Brunton 15TDCL Compass~
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before that I pre-grade myself first, to see if it's worth it

My Old Standby Guide (IMHO better than Red or Blue Book in those days)
A Guide To The Grading Of United States Coins (1964)
by Martin Brown and John Dunn

Still have many 1960's-1980's Red & Blue Books, but just collecting them

The newer ones I use most

Official ANA Grading and Standards Guide 5th Edition (1996)

Photograde 18th Edition (1996)
Official Photographic Grading Guide for United States Coins
by James F. Ruddy

Have used NGC, PCGS & ANACS, and happy with them all
Never tried ICG or lower tier ones

Note: Remember PCGS if you dispute them, resubmit will cost you the same as first time, as they really don't have any guarantees (At least when I dealt with them)

....Reid

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread