California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got one off ebay. Looks like an ashtray. Runs on batteries. Don't kn ow how accurate it is, but seems like it is. Plenty cheap.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I got one off ebay. Looks like an ashtray. Runs on batteries. Don't know how accurate it is, but seems like it is. Plenty cheap.

I have bought 4 scales through Ebay in 2 years and all measurents so far have been in great agreement. They can't all be off. They aren't the same manufacturer either. Unless you are needing to measure flakes of gold, Ebay is perfect.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 50 bucks you can get a .01 gram scale from a head shop locally. If you want it to have an exact weight for the one hundredths spot I suggest getting a scale spoon to set in the center of the plate.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got mine at a local head shop $15 + or minus 0.01 gm super accurate.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought mine from the local prospecting store. Don't remember the price but not too spendy. Very accurate came with a scale weight to calibrate it. Check on line prospecting and mining suppliers.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a small digital scale at Harbor Freight.... weighs in grams, oz, OZT, ( troy ounces) and DWT (pennyweight) Perfect for weighing small quantities of gold which is commonly weighed in DWT and OZT

Dont let the $13.99 price fool you, this thing is accurate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ale-93543.html

GG~

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks A lot All
I feel much better now that I know the prices don't matter and they are reliable. Thanks for the help, plan to buy one soon.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have this one I no longer use, and will offer it to you for the cost of postage. The batteries may be a little weak as it shows it's off by one thousandth of a gram. Send me a PM if interested. 1228130642-00.jpg 1228130643-00.jpg 1228130644-00.jpg

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

its off by .001 because you have used it so much in weighing your hundreds of oz's of gold that you have worn off .001 of the calibration weight. LOL

Last edited:

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, haven't had a need for it since I quit refining e-scrap. That's funny Kieth. The stuff I find here in Indiana, needs a 20 power glass to see it. I have a smaller one rated a 200G that would weigh all I find.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most scales do go off track on low batteries, or after a bad drop, or any other sort of constant use. But most are available with a recalibration setting to fix that. I always keep a fresh dollar bill next to my scale to check the accuracy. A dollar is one gram flat FYI.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude...you live in San Francisco....Uh.....go for a walk find a head shop buy scale....done...Shop Local the Hippies will love it. Serioussly though all the above guys are right on and don't forget harbor freight.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy do I feel all hi-tech. I use the same RCBS beam powder scale I learned to reload with as a kid. Part of the joy I get playing with my gold, sliding the weights, balancing it out, reading the scales and doing the math conversions from grains to grams, dwt, or ozt.
How much we're those HF scales again?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy do I feel all hi-tech. I use the same RCBS beam powder scale I learned to reload with as a kid. Part of the joy I get playing with my gold, sliding the weights, balancing it out, reading the scales and doing the math conversions from grains to grams, dwt, or ozt.
How much we're those HF scales again?

I still use my 5-0-5 RCBS beam powder scale, fowledup does yours look like this?

rcbs.jpg

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you guys suggest a 0.001g scale? I found one on Ebay and it seems like this one would do the trick.

Digital Milligram Pocket Digital Scale Grain Gram Jewelry Scale 20g x 0.001g, EBAY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread