Grand Master Hunter CXII

N

NLINE SIXX

Hello another newbie here. Just recently I've got interested in MD. I have a GMH CXII that belonged to my Dad. He passed away a little over 11 years ago, and the machine has been stored away ever since, so I know the MD is close to 14 or 15 years old, but it looks new. This was one of my Dads main hobbies before he got to sick to go MD and has owned serveral MD over the years and found some pretty good finds. I had been a few times with him, but never got to operate the MD. I was the honorary "digger" ;D. From playing around with the MD here recently I have picked up and remembered some things about the operation of it my Dad talked about. I've been out a couple times here lately, but with our drought conditions around here the digging is tough. Anyway I would like to know a little more about the machine with any helpful hints or secrets if anyone is familier with it. :)

Thanks

NL6

Willy

It's a decent detector, about as good as anything out there insofar as it will get the goodies. There really hasn't been enough change in MD technology to render the CXII obsolete. I'd say "use it & be happy". One thing that would benefit you is to get the optional arm brace for it. I'd think that it might be even better than the newer CX+. Run a search on the various forums, especially the Garrett specific ones, for more info. ...Willy.

OP
OP
N

NLINE SIXX

Thanks Willy for the reply and info! By the way Dad must have known about the added benifit of the arm brace because it was already on the MD. Heck I did not know that was even a option figure it was standard feature.

NL6

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got through rereading "The Modern Metal Detector, revised edition" by Charles Garrett. Even being "revised" it is still a little out of date not having the latest Garrett GTI series listed. However it does often refer to the Grand Master series frequently. You might pick up some pointers from it. Be sure and go to the Garrett website and get a copy of the manual for your detector. From all I read, it is a fine machine and you should do well with it.

OP
OP
N

NLINE SIXX

Thanks Monty for the infomation.The book would probably be a great help,and I do have the original owners manual. I would really like to have a DVD instructual disc this would be even better. They probably have a VHS version, but they are a little out date also these days and my VHS recorder is kinda on the blink. :)

I have sorta been pondering over getting a second metal detector for myself and those times my wife goes with me. I have been really looking at the Garrett ACE 250 not only for the price but the good things I read about them. Just cannot make up my mind at this time. ;D

NL6

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are only two things I have read that are negative about the ACE 250. One is that it doesn't work well on saltwater beaches because it has a set ground balance. The other is that it is hard to pinpoint. I have had and mine for nearly a year and never have had a problem pinpointing. In fact mine is extremely easy to pinpoint. so?
I have never tried it around a saltwater beach and probably never will have the opportunity so it is a moot point for me. It lives up to all the claims I read on the forum and then some. Monty

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the Grand master here in Japan...I have found lots of Bronze coins with it dating back a thousand years! I like the big meter!
Good Luck Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions