Grandfathers mineL

RattlingDan

May 30, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather had a three acre gold mine he owned outside of Idaho Springs, Colorado since my mom was a little girl.
Grandpa passed away in 1976. Mom is 85 now and she says she thinks the government boarded up the mine. It's possible the land is still owned by our family.
Does anyone know if it is legal to mine in that area these days?

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
You should be able to find out all the details at your State BLM Office.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the mine property is still owned by your family you will need to contact the State of Colorado about what permits etc. you might need to reopen the mine.

Once your ancestor purchased the mine property from the government it became patented private property. Once the patent is issued neither the BLM nor any other Federal agency has any say in your mining there.

If your ancestor never patented the property the required annual filings lapsed and the mining claim was closed.

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are still active small scale hard rock mines operating in that area.

If your family failed to pay the property taxes over the years, the mine reverted to the county to dispose of just like your house would. Anyone paying annual property taxes on that land?

Clear Creek County or Gilpin County? Either way, start with the county since BLM is not interested in patented land aka private land.

OP
OP
R

RattlingDan

May 30, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my mom about the property this afternoon. She said my cousin should know more about the property's taxes etc.
I'm hoping it still belongs to our family. The wife and I are in the process of retiring and will have time to investigate if we still own it.
In the meantime, we have an aunt in Mariposa, California that has a stream running through her property. I ordered a Grizzly Gold Trap the other day and it may be fun to set that up in the stream.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like some cool adventures await!!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time to research and find 'Papers'/

Hello
Clay Diggns pointed out:
Once your ancestor purchased the mine property from the government it became patented private property. Once the patent is issued neither the BLM nor any other Federal agency has any say in your mining there.
Good points. The family may have some 'Papers' to this effect as well. The numbers and wording on those 'Papers' are very important. :stickynote:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread