Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: grandma's secret pencil

The shape of the pencil reminds me of a carpenters pencil. Could this be a Victorian architects pendant?

Ed D.

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

i don't know if any one has any ideas please let me know thanks

dylan

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Born2Dtect said:
The shape of the pencil reminds me of a carpenters pencil. Could this be a Victorian architects pendant?

Ed D.

I thought the same thing when I first saw it..although I'm not sure that something that ornate would have been worn by a man, and I have a feeling that female architects would have been few and far between in those days. Maybe it's something a teacher would have worn. I agree that it does look Victorian. Give us a clue here..was this found at a homesite? It's very pretty and a rare find-it's neat that the pencil is still intact after all this time. Congrats!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dylan,

Can you tell what is written on it? I cannot see all the writing. I think it has "ALCO" on the pencil part.

Ed D.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Very cool find. Would they have stamped STERLING on the thing back then? It may not be as old as it looks. Just a question.

OP
OP
dgaughan

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

sorry been busy at work to answer your questions it was found near a homestead in cold sping harbor artemis, it is stamped sterling up at the break the foundation is from the mid 1800's i think and the house has been gone a long time. and it does say A.L. Co on the pencil holder. thanks for looking hh

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

We need the Antiques Roadshow people to i.d. and date it. They seem to have an expert for everything that shows up.

Nice find!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I can remember and have seen pencil holders/carriers as far back as the 40's.They were sold in 5&10 stores and more ornate ones in stationary outlets.This was before ballpoint pens.People just carried them in case they needed to write down something.Most of the cases were just plain.Some carried them on keychains or small purses.Ink pens were bulky and the ink would dry out after a time.There was usually one in g'mas sewing box.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

That is a very beautifull pencil holder. One very neat find.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia

Don't know anything about it , but it sure is a pretty find :)
Grats and keep diggin !

Doozis

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

ALCO stands for the Aiken-Lambert Company. They made fountain pens and pencils. I'm guessing your pencil dates from 1910-1920, probably a ladies piece, but also could ahve been a man's vest pocket pencil. A nice find. You may want to post your pics at at site called Pentrace, and see if anyone else has any information. Congrats.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dylan,

I think your find is the neatest thing! Congrats! I did a little research and found this pic + a website that shows the different Victorian type, fashion styles and how they were worn. I got a lot of pleasure looking at the old pics. May be a little help to MDers finding antique brooches & such. Scroll down to the pic marked "Chatelaine". I find from this same website that women carried the match stick holders and wore pocket watches.

;) RR

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rs&start=60&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

chat20954d.jpg

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

My g'ma kept hers in one of the drawers of her treadle sewing machine.It was just a smooth silver case.No idea how old it was,but it was there as far back as I can remember and I can remember back to about 1938.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dylan!! That is soooo pretty! What a neat find!

Congrats!!! Nana :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
Dylan,

I think your find is the neatest thing! Congrats! I did a little research and found this pic + a website that shows the different Victorian type, fashion styles and how they were worn. I got a lot of pleasure looking at the old pics. May be a little help to MDers finding antique brooches & such. Scroll down to the pic marked "Chatelaine". I find from this same website that women carried the match stick holders and wore pocket watches.

;) RR

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rs&start=60&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=N

I was just getting ready to say it looks like it would attach to a chatelaine. :)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a very cool find! Surprising that the pencil is still inside! Nicely done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions