Grandparenting

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I try to be a grandparent in the tradition of Robert Ruark and the grandfather that he venerated.
Irreverent ,incorrigable ,and always there for my grandkids to inspire them to think outside the box.
'You probably can hit that hornet's nest with the rock you are fixing to throw.The outcome will not be good.The choice is yours.'
'C'mere,lets put some meat tenderizer on that hornet sting.'
That piece of wood with the knob on the side of it that you just opened is called a door.It is not a horse's a$$ that will close itself.
If you're gonna act stupid you gotta learn how to be tough.

You can never hug a grandchild and tell them how much you love them enough.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
mcgearhead said:
That was good ! I do not have grandchildren.... yet. I found it amusing, as I see the same with my children now ! So how much greater it will be when I do have grandchildren !
You can't imagine ! You suffer the agony and rewards of rearing your own children, who came without a manual .
When you get the grandchildren you impart what wisdom you can.Be buddies with them and as irreverent as you dare.
Before the parents come to take them home to put them to bed you load them up with chocolate and Coca-Cola.
That's your paybacks :wink:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a mean SOB but I like it. Send them home with a sugar high. LOL
Many a night was spent in a rocking chair with a baby.
Raising kids the right way is tough. We never had kinfolk around that would bbsit so that was that.
Did help out a bunch of single parents tho, some heartbreaking stories there.

Am not familiar with Robert Ruark but your quotes sound like me.
Only have 2 grandkids now but still have fun with them.

Grey

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
greydigger said:
You are a mean SOB but I like it. Send them home with a sugar high. LOL
Many a night was spent in a rocking chair with a baby.
Raising kids the right way is tough. We never had kinfolk around that would bbsit so that was that.
Did help out a bunch of single parents tho, some heartbreaking stories there.

Am not familiar with Robert Ruark but your quotes sound like me.
Only have 2 grandkids now but still have fun with them.

Grey
Not mean , just thorough. I don't want them to suffer the liability of growing up in a sheltered environment.
Update : My soon to be 8 buddy that shares my avatar spent the last two days with me in the shop making wooden spoons because of weather related school closings.
First day went pretty good with him busy finish sanding a spoon for his mother.
Yesterday he showed up with his new Swiss Army knife confident that he can carve a spoon all by himself . His dad and I have both tried to teach him the proper way to use a knife . He knows better than us grownups.
I gave him a blank to carve out under my supervision and the third time I had to stop him from using the knife the wrong way I made him stop carving for the day.
Hardhead that he is ; he sneaked around a corner out of sight a few minutes later when I was distracted and grabbed up a stick of stove wood to carve a spoon 'his way'.
Didn't work the way he planned and after Nona and I gave primary first aid we took him to the ER to get 4 stitches in his thumb.
The ER Doc complimented him on his fortitude during the sewing job.
" Pappy always told me if you're gonna act stupid you gotta be tough."
Whatcha gonna do with a kid like that....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread