oxfordpete

Greenie
Jun 7, 2011
Oxford, GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently moved to a home in Oxford/Covington, GA on about 100 acres. I've been digging in a field out front of the house. A couple weeks ago, I dug a GA Militia Coat Button and half dime. Yesterday I dug these items. They were only a few feet from where I dug the button and half dime. I am still new at this digging stuff, so I don't have very much knowledge on finds. I have read about Sherman and his men coming through here, and that Georgia had a very large and strong militia back in the day. Any help in identifying these things would be great. Thank you in advance for your help.

20140714_093609_resized.jpg 20140714_093429_resized.jpg 20140714_093644_resized.jpg 20140714_093705_resized.jpg

Upvote 2

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
I do believe that is a Civil War Grapeshot ball but precise measurements will be needed to know for certain. Being from a Civil War site there is a great chance that you have a grapeshot ball. Great finds!

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say canister shot, once electrolosis is done thats the right size, i had one like that and tried to beat off the outer crust but it ended crumbling in my hand. Grape shot is 2 inches wide.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it looks like one. your 'buckle' also looks like it might be an iron roller buckle off a cartridge box. there is likely more and once you start finding minie balls that would be confirmation as to a Civil War site. good luck....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread