Grapeshot ball from 1800s foundation - dug, cleaned, IDd, and polished.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grapeshot ball from 1800's foundation - dug, cleaned, ID'd, and polished.

Last weekend I detected a farm a few miles from here for a grand total of about 10 hours. Within 5 minutes on the first day I dug a ~1830's button, but didn't dig a whole lot more that wasn't rusty until the following day. The land manager was weedeating nearby when I dug this ball, and when I showed him he insisted that "That's a walnut, boy!" until I handed it to him. Also, for what it's worth, this is also the same farm I had a thread on a few days ago where the land owner's "psychic advisor" was adamant that some kind of massacre had happened in the one field....

Anyway, between talking with a coworker who shoots cannons competitively at a nearby range, and posting it in the "What is it" forum on here (thanks in large part to TheCannonballGuy), it's been ID'd as a grapeshot ball fitting a 12# caliber cannon or a 32# caliber canister shot from the Civil War. The cast iron ball weighs 1.1 lbs and has a diameter of 2.03" and was dug at about 4" deep.

I'm a biology, chemistry, physics, and experimental design teacher, so I turned this into a lesson for some of my upper level classes and we let this run in an electrolysis setup for about 20 hours in my classroom until it was cleaned up. Sealed it with beeswax last night and I might do a second coat tonight just to be safe. As part of the impromptu lesson, I used two different anodes throughout the process (copper and carbon), so that's why the water looks different in two of the photos below.

As an aside...what really gets me is that my main interest in this hobby for several years has been old coins...anything pre-clad. I can't seem to find an of that (6 wheats to date and nothing silver since I started detecting over 5 years ago), but I can find something like this??? I don't get it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 182
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 4

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !!! I haven't found any silver either. One indian head and 3 wheaties.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!! Now that's a great find! I'll trade you a handful of wheats for it. 8-)

Don't worry - If you are in sites with stuff like this, your silver, wheats, indians and large cents will follow soon. :)

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
Last weekend I detected a farm a few miles from here for a grand total of about 10 hours. Within 5 minutes on the first day I dug a ~1830's button, but didn't dig a whole lot more that wasn't rusty until the following day. The land manager was weedeating nearby when I dug this ball, and when I showed him he insisted that "That's a walnut, boy!" until I handed it to him. Also, for what it's worth, this is also the same farm I had a thread on a few days ago where the land owner's "psychic advisor" was adamant that some kind of massacre had happened in the one field....

Anyway, between talking with a coworker who shoots cannons competitively at a nearby range, and posting it in the "What is it" forum on here (thanks in large part to TheCannonballGuy), it's been ID'd as a grapeshot ball fitting a 12# caliber cannon or a 32# caliber canister shot from the Civil War. The cast iron ball weighs 1.1 lbs and has a diameter of 2.03" and was dug at about 4" deep.

I'm a biology, chemistry, physics, and experimental design teacher, so I turned this into a lesson for some of my upper level classes and we let this run in an electrolysis setup for about 20 hours in my classroom until it was cleaned up. Sealed it with beeswax last night and I might do a second coat tonight just to be safe. As part of the impromptu lesson, I used two different anodes throughout the process (copper and carbon), so that's why the water looks different in two of the photos below.

As an aside...what really gets me is that my main interest in this hobby for several years has been old coins...anything pre-clad. I can't seem to find an of that (6 wheats to date and nothing silver since I started detecting over 5 years ago), but I can find something like this??? I don't get it!

I would rather find that than wheats any day. I find wheats every time I go out but I don't find anything like that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That beat's a average coin any day for most, congrats on the ball. Still looking for my first one....

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get me wrong, it's definitely cool and I realize it's something that most MDers probably aren't going to find, but still you'd think that somewhere in the past 5+ years I'd find something I was looking for...lol

Last edited:

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
I feel you, I just found a 1950 Wheatie today & wasn't impressed. It sucks finding things you don't really care about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread