Grapettes Soda Bottle, advice on lettering?

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cleaned this up a bit better on the inside and was wondering if there was a way to restore the lettering or atleast preserve it if needed? I discovered a bottle dump while metal detecting and sorta just got into this.

20181219_193816.jpg 20181219_143744.jpg
sorry for the rotation, they are normal on my phone but go sideways when uploaded

And this is what is would have looked like (not my images)
81YOZiwPqRL._SY741_.jpg 41Feftpe5TL._AC_SY400_.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately there's no way to 'restore' it or bring it back naturally. 99 percent of the time that people dig up these types of bottles the paint will come off veeery easily. All of the hot/cold, wet/dry, plus the soil acting on it, loosens up the paint tremendously. The lightest touch will wipe it away forever. So rather than wiping the dirt off when they find it, they will lightly run water over it when they get home in an attempt to remove the dirt. Some will then put clear tape over the label to protect it, or even spray it with clear shellac or something to give it a protective coating - methods like these are controversial with many collectors. A last resort would be to get some washable paint markers and essentially recreate the image, paint it right back onto the bottle using a better looking specimen as a reference. This takes time and skill though, and rarely redeems the bottle's value. But if you've got a steady hand and you like to paint, it could be a lot of fun!

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the label is going to come off , it well do it in a few mints after it comes out of the ground . just flack off. now if it is still in tacked after it dries let it set for a few days . clean it cool water and a nylon covered sponge and bar keeps friend . it may nervier look like it did but if you have 90 % of the label good enough. it' a good idea to clear cote it.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The lettering that remains is basically etched into the glass during the process in which it was baked on, no further loss of lettering should occur to the "ghost" lettering you see. I know guys who use white shoe polish on acid etched bottles to highlight the lettering, not sure if it'll work with missing pyro glazed lettering...

OP
OP
R

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks ! Hey the white shoe polish thing is interesting.. I might give that a try someday... If it was a rare bottle I'd leave it be but it could be nice to see the lettering. Im pretty sure it was already like this when I dug it up but I'll keep this all in mind if I dig up any more with labels, I appreciate all the info!

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found d one of those in Mobile Bay when I was a teenager. Still have it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Ive found one or two while detecting I love digging them Well done hope you can restore them like you want Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions