Grass

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Lesche digger. It's serrated on one side which makes easy work of grass roots.. Tree roots on the other hand, are a pain. Garrett has a new digger that looks real nice. It's serrated on both sides, it's bigger than the Lesche and doesn't cost as much.

It goes without saying BUT dig proper plugs to preserve you spot for future detecting.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lesche is a GOOD tool,very high grade steel,it will loose it's edge over time,keep it sharp,file the edge when you feel it could cut better. I cut deep wide plugs in C shape and pry it up leaving the roots as a hinge,flip it back over,step on it,after you retrieve your target of course!:laughing7: God Bless Chris

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharp....sharp .....sharp. I use a modified drain shovel when I can. In yards a lesche or a large fixed blade knife work great. Can do as neat a job with the shovel but looks too aggressive to use in a yard to most people. Really have to use caution when using and carrying it sharpened but goes through roots like a demon. I use it like an axe on large roots and cuts the undergrowth and stubble slick as a whistle:icon_thumleft:. Hit it again with the hand grinder every few trips. I hunt in the woods often and it sure makes the work of getting through the roots much easier.

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am waiting to receive one of these Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel

The main two features that convinced me to get this shovel is it has an edge all around the head of the shovel, and the handle actually has two screws that you can unscrew. So if you break the handle or need a longer one you just take the screws out and screw the new one in. My main digger right now is a B&D 5 inch hand trowel, I have grinned an edge on both sides and on one side cut the edges into sections so it is like the serrated diggers you see around.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use a screw driver or bayonet as a probe and coin popper in the grass. In our parks you could get a big ticket if even seen with a Lasche or shovel. This comes from someone not replacing plugs or filling their holes. At least I was able to keep the parks open to detecting.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my probe for parks and also have a very narrow bladed digging tool, but my favorite for cutting a good plug is the old fashion Japanese garden knife.

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a few pictures of what I am talking about with the B&D, the only problem with this one is that in hard soil or deep down on a plug it tends to bend a little and I have to bend it back. I plan on fixing this with a little welding to support the back neck.

20121111_084623.jpg 20121111_084637.jpg

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Lesche is a GOOD tool,very high grade steel,it will loose it's edge over time,keep it sharp,file the edge when you feel it could cut better. I cut deep wide plugs in C shape and pry it up leaving the roots as a hinge,flip it back over,step on it,after you retrieve your target of course!:laughing7: God Bless Chris

This right here!!

Loooove my Lesche!! Every hundred or so plugs...I'll hit the edge with a small flat file, and it continues to slice through grass like warm butter!! Much less "destructive looking" in those public parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread