Grassy Area Digging Tool

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks interesting. I bought a pair of headphones from them. They carry all the big names. Plenty of books and accessories all from the well known manufacturers. I saw only quality products.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
This might be lengthy but I hope it has some valuable info to help you and others that consider these tools.

I did, originally, look into the tool that you showed. I found a couple different ones online that I considered. I bought a similar item called a "Target Buddy" http://www.targetbuddy.com/ It is a pretty effective tool but is pretty bulky. I have only used it around my yard and, as for the holes that it leaves, I think it is good as you can't tell, when I am done, that I even dug something. Only exceptions were a couple places where my pinpointing was a little off and I had to make multiple adjoining holes to find an object. After piecing the plugs back into the holes, there was some dirt between the plugs. Not bad though. If you are careful and all, you would probably be OK. I would still be cautious though of using these types of tools in other peoples yards or the park etc. You really need to be careful when digging on public property or in other peoples yards. Especially if they are well maintained and manicured.

One thing that others cautioned me of and I would agree, is that you want to also be careful not to damage your target. Don't just plunge your plugging tool, or any tool for that matter, into the ground. Be careful and more deliberate. I found that it isn't as hard to do as you might think. The edges of these tools are obviously kind of sharp to cut through the sod. They can also scratch your treasure. I found a penny with mine, the other day. When I pulled it out of the plug, there was an obvious fresh set of gouges on the face of the coin. Fourtunately it was a common modern penny.

I posted in another thread some things that I learned while putsing around in my yard. If you detect an object that is, according to your detector, an inch or two, Odds are it is right under the sod. Pinpoint the best you can and use your trowel to cut a small slit in the turf. Feel under and see if you can locate the object and pull it out without digging. A lot of items are right under the sod. If your detector tells you that the object is about 3 or 4 inches under, you might want to cut a flap out of the sod and carefully fold it back. Then, using a trowel like the Lesche Predator, http://www.predatortools.com/products/85E.htm carefully probe and dig around to find the object. You might also want to have a pinpointer handy at this point. I use a Whites Bullseye II. http://www.whiteselectronics.com/bullseye2w.php

With a pinpointer, check your hole and see if you can locate where the object is. I like the hand held pinpointer, as opposed to my regular detector because it is easier to handle when I am on the ground digging. Don't have to get up and then kneel down over and over. The Bullseye II like other pinpointers, can be set to only detect things that are an inch or two away. That way, you can run it along your hole and know exactly where the object is. Hold it near a coin and while pushing the button, turn the sensitivity knob till you get a beep at a distance you are comfortable with, I usually set it to beep about 2" from my target. I also like that it has a vibrate mode so you can dig more discretely and it will vibrate rather than beep. Also it has an LED light that will illuminate inside your hole. Then, after you have retrieved your target, place the dirt back and put your plug back. Remember when digging a flap, cut deep enough so it has plenty of dirt on the underside of the sod. One thing that I hear about happening frequently, is that detectors will go to the park and dig good holes and flaps... They will put eveything back carefully and cleanly and later will learn that all the flaps and sod had been removed. Sometimes, animals, (dogs, racoons, squirrels...) will smell the fresh dug earth. Their instinct is that another animal burried some food there. So, they dig it up. Thus why the pluggers would seem a little better. Much more of a challenge for an animal to dig up. So, I think the only real solution to this is to make sure your flaps are deep enough to hold well. Not something that someone will trip over or some small animal will yank up.

Now, if your target is deeper, say 4 or 5 inches or deeper, that might be where your plugger would be best used. Take a plug out of the top and check it with the pinpointer or your detector. Take a good quality plastic plate or bowl with you that you can put your dirt and plugs into. That way you won't make as much of a mess and you won't loose much of your dirt around your hole. You can scan over the plugs and dirt, in the bowl, to make sure the target isn't embedded inside. If nothing is in the bowl, check the hole again with your detector and make sure your target is there. If the detector still reads something, set the first plug, (the one with the grass) asside carefully and then check your hole with your pinpointer. Check the sides and the bottom and use a trowel like the Lesche and dig the bottom and sides. The other day, an idea came to me. I might go out to Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things... and get a ladel like you would use in your kitchen. Something with a decent handle. Maybe plastic end to it so as not to damage a target. After loosening dirt in the bottom of these holes with a trowel, using a ladel to scoop out the loose dirt would be good. Make things cleaner as far as dirt on the grass goes. Odds are, your object should be somewhere near by. If you still don't find your object and it might be deeper, you might take another plug out of the same hole if you can. I am guessing that my "Target Buddy" is about 4 or 5 inches deep. Based on the length of the handle, and my experience, I can take two plugs out of one hole before I max it's depth. I should be able to get a max depth of 10", I think. By now you should have found your object. Return all the loose dirt to the hole and replace the plugs. Place the grass plug in last, of course. If you keep the diameter of the hole the same as what you get with your plugger, when you have filled everything in and replaced that top plug, you shouldn't be able to tell you were there.

I don't know about the plugger that you showed. I looked at it and the "Target Buddy" and decided on the later as it seemed wider. Pictures are hard to judge though. From my experience though, the "Target Buddy" offers a hole that is plenty wide to put my hand into. I have fairly large hands too. My thought was that it would make it less likely that I would have to enlarge my holes and do further damage. From the little work that I have done with it, it seems adequate to be able to, as I suggested above, take out a plug and dig along the bottom and the sides of the hole to widen out ( upside down cone with wide on the bottom). Then refill and replace the top plug and leave little damage.

OP
OP
madfranks

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Hmm... $80 for the Target Buddy and $40 for the Plug Popper. I thought about it and then went to wal-mart where I bought this nice looking plug-digging tool for $1.99. I'm sure the quality isn't as good, but I saved a nice bundle of $$$.

Attachments

• Digging Tool.jpg
    Digging Tool.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2,146

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
madfranks said:
Hmm... $80 for the Target Buddy and $40 for the Plug Popper. I thought about it and then went to wal-mart where I bought this nice looking plug-digging tool for $1.99. I'm sure the quality isn't as good, but I saved a nice bundle of $$$.

Didn't actually use one of those but did try one similar that had a long handle. Problem was after about 2 holes, the handle bent on me. I sawed off the damaged end and tapped new holes and reattached the handle and about 20 minutes later it was bent again.

Looking at the one that you have, I would be concerned that the handle would break easilly or bend on you. Don't know though. Keep us informed on how it works for you. I just think that for digging in the garden with somewhat loose soil and planting a few bulbs, that digger might be just right. But, remember that when you dig for the purpose of Metal Detecting, you are going to hit harder compacted soil like on walking paths. There might be more rocks and tree roots also. I wonder how that will hold up to the roots from a 30' Blue Spruce. I use that example because when digging my back yard, I hit a root that was as big around as a penny. Pretty tough stuff.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen guys that have used these plug diggers fined in court for destroying park property. It cuts the grass roots all the way around and it dies and leaves circles of dead grass in a green lawn. We need to do all we can to not open our selves up to any negative thoughts and get metal detectorist baned from property. We have enough trouble getting areas opened up to us. This tool would be ok now where it didn't matter like in a woods or field of weeds.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Sandman256 said:
I have seen guys that have used these plug diggers fined in court for destroying park property. It cuts the grass roots all the way around and it dies and leaves circles of dead grass in a green lawn. We need to do all we can to not open our selves up to any negative thoughts and get metal detectorist baned from property. We have enough trouble getting areas opened up to us. This tool would be ok now where it didn't matter like in a woods or field of weeds.

I agree with most of what you have to say. Thus why I mentioned in an earlier post about how I would still be reluctant to use a plugger in a public park or someone elses lawn where it might be well kept and manicured etc. You are right in that these tools might be good in proper circumstances. Better in the woods or in areas without well maintained turf and such. Also, I would add, there might be a better or proper procedure to use with them. Unless someone is willing to give permission with an understanding of some potential damage or a need for some follow up maintenance like watering etc. . We should avoid, as much as possible, any activity that would do damage.

I don't know for sure, thus why I mentioned that I would use extra caution. At least innitially, until I know more. From research that I did prior to deciding to buy the plugger that I did, plugging like this is the same process that is used on golf courses and athletic fields for maintaining the turf, greens and fairways etc. They often have small sod farms, nurseries or areas of grass planted where they take similar "Plugs" and take them out to repair divots. I read that a greenskeeper can load a bucket full of plugs and head out to do his daily maintenance. Where damage is found, the greenskeeper can take a plug out of the damaged area and simply replace it with a plug of sod. With a little care and watering etc. and proper timing of when they do the maintenance, the sod plugs take quickly and easilly. The groundskeepers at other types of athletic fields even use similar tools shaped in an Octagon or Hexagon..??? Not sure of the shape, where they can piece geometric plugs together to cover larger areas. From what I read, the key is to make sure you cut deep enough and leave enough soil under the sod. I am not sure if it has to do with cutting a complete circle as it does stripping the sod too shallowly off the ground. I would always, even if the target on my detector is 2" take a full plug out. Although, if your target is that shallow, like I mentioned above, you would be better just cutting a slit in the ground and probing for the target. You shouldn't take a shallow plug, just like you want to be careful to not cut your flaps too close to the surface also. You should plan to only take a full plug. That would be 4 or 5" deep with all the soil attached. If you find the target, remove it carefully. Don't uneccesarily crumble all the dirt away from your plug. That is where the roots are and if you cut too shallow or overwork all the soil away from the grass, you will damage those roots. It is better to drop a 5" thick plug back in the ground, rather than one that is only an inch or two. When you do replace your plug, make sure to tamp it or press it down good to make sure the roots get good contact with the soil that surrounds the plug. It can take longer for the roots to recover if they don't have adequate dirt under or around them. Soil left also retains moisture and protects the roots from the heat and drying of the sun. I really believe that is the source of most of the problems. Another thing that one should condiser doing, whether cutting a 3 sided flap or a plug. If it is dry and there is not any rain in the forcast, don't dig. Or if you must, carry a bottle of water around with you so you can water your plugs in. Also, avoid plugging in the middle of the afternoon or on hot dry sunny days. I think it was discussed one time before, Take a bottle of Cayanne Pepper with you also. Sprinkle it over and under the plug to deter animals from digging up your flaps and plugs.

Something else I would mention about the digger that is pictured above and those like the "Target Buddy" The Target Buddy has a straight side to it and is the same diameter top as it is bottom. Note that the bulb diggers that are mentioned are tapered. I wonder if there might be some sort of difference with the different shapes.

I have a few plugs that I have cut around my yard. I have only used the tool there. I am watching those plugs to see how they react before I go out and start plugging away. Like you suggested, I don't want to give detecting a bad name by doing damage where I don't have the ability to watch over my holes and give them proper care. That is one thing that would make me uncomfortable. Digging in a park and then leaving with everything looking nice but finding, a day or two later that some squirrel dug up my plugs or that, as you mentioned, they turn into little brown circles.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I am on the road so I will have to wait till I get back to show the pics, but the methods you use when cutting the plugs make a big difference on how well the grass returns or not. My sister has a beautiful house with a very nice lawn and I spent a day cutting dozens of plugs with my 4"X 15" plug cutter. I have gone back several times in the last month to visit and there are absolutely no signs I was ever there. Grass is growing fine, no dead spots etc. I knew this would be the case as it has been every time I have hunted with this cutter. Never had a problem, just a matter of method. I have seen the arguments against using these tools quite often and I will continue to dissagree just for the fact that none of the issues I have ever heard described have proven true in any of my experieces. I have talked to many park personel and never had one complaint or concern from them about my methods either. I know in some places where people have not used decent methods, they have been banned but again, not where I have been ever. Just another perspective. Be careful in any method you use regardless. I will post pics when I get back of the yard after and also a pic of the tool.

-Mike

iherbie

Apr 20, 2006
Denver, CO
Dude, you've gotta get one of those tools that I've got!

And I think a lot of it depends on our digging techniques and skill level. Practice makes perfect! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread