Grave Robbing for scrap

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Better hope I dont ever catch someone stealing them, I will make sure their a$$ gets busted.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I cant read the article you posted but Ive been metal detecting and come across some very old graveyards from the 1820's.

One in particular has all the whites and all the black Christians buried together in the order they passed away on a single plot of land, with all the "non Christian" blacks buried in another graveyard down the hill.

I haven't dug any graves up but I'm pretty sure most of them are much more shallow than 6 feet deep. The metal detectors go crazy at the level of the head and the hands on several of the graves.

I dont think I could ever dig them up, and I wont tell others about the location because many of them wouldnt care....

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post has brought up a problem that that many of us have, I believe, we know of graves and small cemeteries that is not known by many. I know of such sites and have tried to interest historical groups in the information but nothing came of this. If anyone has had this problem how have you dealt with it? We are loosing much of our history and I find this to be very sad.

jim hamrick

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get the link to work either. What was the artical about?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for SURE, but this MIGHT be the story of how some scum sucking lowlifes were going around stealing the bronze plaques of WW1 and WW2 veterans from their graves and selling them for scrap. Those things weight about 20 lbs. apiece (or more). They HAD to have been cutting them up because no self-respecting dealer would have bought them in large pieces.

Again, I don't know if this is the subject of the original post, but the stolen plaque situation was in the news around the date this post was started.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions