Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short lived but heavy rain this morning, got off work with enough time to take a quick look at a field before it got too dark, this was the only thing I saw, to me it looks like a graver but I’m also getting restless to come up with anything lately, so maybe it’s just a wonky flake
IMG_5405.jpeg
IMG_5406.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpeg
IMG_5412.jpeg
IMG_5420.jpeg

Upvote 7

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short lived but heavy rain this morning, got off work with enough time to take a quick look at a field before it got too dark, this was the only thing I saw, to me it looks like a graver but I’m also getting restless to come up with anything lately, so maybe it’s just a wonky flake
View attachment 2108370 View attachment 2108371 View attachment 2108372 View attachment 2108373 View attachment 2108374 I’m not positive but I think that would be called a beaked burin in some places

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Looks like a impact fracture on the one side so it could be that or a graver. I don’t find many like that so just a guess.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t really looked into burin vs graver in my mind its the same thing, but it could be a chert vs flint type situation. I don’t think it’s worth it’s own post but got another fragment yesterday, and 3 wheat pennies on a short walk, between not having time and not a lot of luck it’s been slow going since June. The biggest thing about the fragment was it was among a bunch of flakes scattered outside of a site I found, my search area doubled and I’m itching to get back after a good rain
IMG_5447.jpeg
IMG_5445.jpeg

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t really looked into burin vs graver in my mind its the same thing, but it could be a chert vs flint type situation. I don’t think it’s worth it’s own post but got another fragment yesterday, and 3 wheat pennies on a short walk, between not having time and not a lot of luck it’s been slow going since June. The biggest thing about the fragment was it was among a bunch of flakes scattered outside of a site I found, my search area doubled and I’m itching to get back after a good rain View attachment 2108702 View attachment 2108703
Burin is
I haven’t really looked into burin vs graver in my mind it’s the same thing, but it could be a chert vs flint type situation. I don’t think it’s worth it’s own post but got another fragment yesterday, and 3 wheat pennies on a short walk, between not having time and not a lot of luck it’s been slow going since June. The biggest thing about the fragment was it was among a bunch of flakes scattered outside of a site I found, my search area doubled and I’m itching to get back after a good rain View attachment 2108702 View attachment 2108703
The distinction is in how working point was formed, by a “burin blow” it appears in this case. Only interesting because a burin would likely but not necessarily be an old piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread