Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This ceramic storage jar(small treasure) is approximately 18 1/2" tall, 14 1/2" in diameter at it's widest point, 9 1/2" in diameter at the base with a 3 1/4" opening at the top.? There are several repairs made with large metal staples.

I purchased it from someone living in Washington state. He told me it was a shipwreck find. It still has plenty of underwater growth fastened to it so his story makes sense.

They say "almost 2,000 vessels of all types and about 700 lives hove been claimed by the treacherous waters off the Peninsula over the past 300 years."

Questions:

1) Anyone know anything about this jar?

2) Any ideas about what ship it may have been connected with?

3) Are there any significant treasures associated with the Peninsula area?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Zeb

Attachments

• jar.jpg
    jar.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks much, Jim!

I checked the "Major Shipwrecks in the Vicinity of the Mouth of the Columbia River
(an incomplete list)."

In 1905, an "unnamed vessel Japanese junk" went down in the area. I don't know how much cleaning was done before I received the jar, but I'm thinking the metal staple repairs hold the secret of when the jar (and ship) went down. By the corrosion on the staples, it's obvious they were in place before the shipwreck.

However, the jar itself could be a 100+ years older then the repair job.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Zeb

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Cornelius.

I see what you're saying. Most likely it was repaired after it was discovered.

The staples are so heavily corroded that this had me convinced it had been lost after the repair. I was thinking it developed a leak, was repaired, and then lost. But, steel staples can rust really quickly if exposed to a damp environment. It may have spent years on someones house deck by the sea side. That would account for the extreme rust on the staples.

Yes, you are right. It is an underwater find of some sort that was reapaired and then sold to some "nautical collector." This person probably just tired of having it out on the deck and sold or gave it away.

While it was sold in Washington state, it could have come from most anywhere.

I've learned and I thank you all.

Anyone with anymore info is invited to comment also.

Best to you all.

Zeb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread