glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of a giant White Oak tree the stands tall on a south facing slope .It reaches its long limbs skyward on a gray morning near the end of Jan. For me there is beauty in a leafless tree standing watch over the events of each day and those events remembered in history . During the Battle of Gettysburg in the Civil War Jeb Stuart and his men traveling through this area . Was this tree alive but just a small sapling at that time .Maybe but I can't be sure .But I would say this tree feed many squirrels ,raccoons and deer and sheltered many birds from the thun IMG_0096.jpg der storms of summer

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the leafless woods. Got out for a walk along the creek this last week, which is one of the few places that wooded areas grew naturally in the high plains of the rocky mountain front range. I planted a maple tree from a seed some time ago and now it's maybe 25 feet high. I got to wondering how old it was and I found some info on the web on how you can get a close estimate of the type of tree by measuring the diameter of the trunk at a certain height from the base. There's huge big diameter cottonwood trees around here I believe are as old as 100 years plus, I believe. Indeed there's something about big old trees. They're like living witnesses that keep secrets about things of the past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock I agree 100% about the leafless woods I will try to measure that oak tree to get an idea how old it might be Thanks for the info

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post I appreciate nature as well it's all in how we perceive things

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I finally took a tape measure to the spot where tree is Measuring the circumference of the tree at chest height ; about 4.5 up from the base I came up with 10 feet 9 inches or 129 inches . The get the diameter you need to multiply that number by 3.14 which is 41.082802 . Now you multiply that number by the growth factor .Different trees have different growth factor numbers .A White Oak is 5 .Multiply 5 x 41.082802 which is 205.41 So according to one way of knowing how old a tree is this White Oak tree is about 200 years old It started growing about 1820 .For a fun winter time project measure different trees to get an idea how old they may be Remember the growth factor is not the same for all trees

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nature is beautiful in all seasons! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread