Gray ghost amphibians

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I bought a pair of amphibians for a whopping $160 plus tax. Took them in the water today for the first time, can barely hear them! My detector volume is all the way up, as is the knob on the headphones. Is this typical or did I get a bad pair? The ones for my at pro are super loud, can pick up those faint targets even with waves crashing and other underwater noises. I think I'm going to go back to my at pro. I like the multiple frequencies for minelab, but they don't do a bit of good if I can't hear the signal! My hearing is fine btw, so it's not that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a pair and they are loud, but I bought them before Detecto Pro who makes and sells them under Gray Ghost was sold, can't speak for the new ones after the sell.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I didn't know detector pro had been sold. my at pro gg are four years old, super loud but the wire has a break somewhere and they cut out all the time now.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The two pair of GG Amphibians I bought for the AT series and the Infinium detectors. They have the same loudness on the Equinox 800 with the use of a correctly wired adapter!

See attached .pdf file.

Attachments

• Eqinox audio.pdf
    298.1 KB · Views: 75

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of superior, less expensive waterproof alternatives with compatible Equinox connectors out there too.

LS.Pelso @ Kellyco

Tony Eisenhower Phones

Patriot Phones

Do google searches.

I had a pair of "generic" Amphibian waterproof GG's modified with a compatible Equinox connector and the volume was also quite low as are the ML yellow Koss WP phones.

Since others have had success with GG Amphibians, you might want to try Detector Pro Customer Service for a warranty exchange or repair. They may just be a lemon pair. HTH.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of amphibians for the equinox. I received the ā€œamphibians IIā€ although it was original amphibians that I purchased. I just figured the originals had been discontinued and replaced by the amphibian II. (Just checked and the seller still have the originals listed and shown on their website) Anyway, I too feel like they are not as loud as I would like. With the volume maxed out they are just loud enough. The amphibian II do not have a volume knob on the headphones themselves as the originals did.

In addition I donā€™t feel like they have the same tone-clarity that the headphones that came with the equinox do. Perhaps that is just a familiarity bias.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I bought a pair from Tony. While not cheaper, they are much louder. I actually had to turn the volume down in the settings. Have to try them underwater yet, have an infection in my earlobe and don't want to go underwater right now.

If I ever go back to using my at pro, I will see if he can make me a pair for that.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you guys buy the "Tony Eisenhower phones".... cant seem to find it on my own...

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Update, underwater I still can't hear the detector. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the detector, not the headphones. I think I am going to get my at pro repaired and go back to using that at the lakes. A detector I can't hear is useless. I found a gold earring by sight the other day, swung the coil over it and couldn't hear a thing. Now I'm wondering how much I've missed in the past couple months.

Lepreshawn

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m a veteran was in the Air Force and worked on jet engines so my hearing is an issue especially with the lower tones (iron). Anyway, I had a friend that had the grey ghost amphibians and I tested them against a pair of LS Pelsoā€™s. The Pelsoā€™s were louder than the GG, however they still didnā€™t give me that volume impact I needed to hunt in and around the surf.

So I decided to buy a pair of Patriot Headphones (waterproof model) and I am completely blown away (literally) by the volume. They are the first headphone yet for the equinox that I find myself turning volume down a few from 25 somewhere around 20-22 is loud and clear. If I can hear this loud and clear on high and especially low tones anyone can. I canā€™t recommend them enough. Thereā€™s nothing Iā€™ve tried that comes even close.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread