Great Basin Hunt

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son Seth and me went out to some dry lakes in the Great Basin to test some new toys . New to us anyway another used quad and trailer and played in the sand for a couple of days . We found a little hunting camp / Blind on sand dunes above the lake bed . A few finds and photos of a vast area that's already too hot but the spring monsoons have kept us away . While there we had brief down pour and the mountains above us got slammed we witnessed what a flash flood can due . It cleaned off a large area for us to hunt next time :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• P6064464.JPG
    P6064464.JPG
    888.2 KB · Views: 49
  • P6064459.JPG
    P6064459.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • P6034452.JPG
    P6034452.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • P6034455.JPG
    P6034455.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • P6034454.JPG
    P6034454.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • P6044458.JPG
    P6044458.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , sounds like a great time with your son .... that’s a ton of flakes any pics of the flood ? I’m sure that was quite a sight

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Those are some nice finds. That small awl is awl-some, and the one below it. That Great Basin area is an area that I would love to hunt. I understand that a lot of obsidian artifacts are found in that locality.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that how all those flakes were when you found them ? Also was this one a point ?
View attachment 1720435

The flakes are in large patch's and scatter that go on for miles . I did not flip that one lol I flip the pieces that catch my eye . I look for a worked edge or tip / base shape sometimes color makes me take a closer look . I stopped to take a photo because of the small amount of obsidian in that patch . The hammer stone I spotted while riding the quad then stopped and the little brown point and obsidian knife where close by .

Last edited:

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scenery, nice hunt, good finds Dennis

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful area. Great finds. Sounds like you guys are prepared.

We took the old RV and quad trailer nice to have a place out of the wind and rain ? We sprung a leak and was running low on water so we only stayed two nights . Don't like sleeping on the ground too many snakes and other creepy crawlers .

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flakes are in large patch's and scatter that go on for miles . I did not flip that one lol I flip the pieces that catch my eye . I look for a worked edge or tip / base shape sometimes color makes me take a closer look . I stopped to take a photo because of the small amount of obsidian in that patch . The hammer stone I spotted while riding the quad then stopped and the little brown point and obsidian knife where close by .

Gotcha ... must have been a really active area to find all those groups of flakes and chips. quads , camping and artifacts sounds good to me it’s cool there’s still spots like that ,that one looks like a point maybe next time out it will be waiting for you lol

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful area. Sounds like a fun and productive trip, even though you cut it short.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We took the old RV and quad trailer nice to have a place out of the wind and rain ? We sprung a leak and was running low on water so we only stayed two nights . Don't like sleeping on the ground too many snakes and other creepy crawlers .
Is it state or Federal land or maybe private? Seems like an enormous place and a good place to get away! Nice finds.

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great spot and cool group of finds.

My idea of a fun weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread