NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at my fav lake again yesterday. This is why my camera is with me all the time. I was watching a heron standing on a log in the water looking for lunch. A turtle decided to share the sunny spot with him. I set up my tripod and was taking pics, when I saw the heron snap to attention. He spotted lunch below him. He slowly stepped over the turtle, got into his attack mode, and then BAM! He snagged lunch, or so he thought he did. There was a tremendous battle between faethers and fish. After this shot was taken, he lost the fish. I think his eyes were bigger than his stomach. He had snagged a largemouth bass weighing about 1 and 1/2 pounds by the tail ::). That almost always never happens with a large fish. After I took the pic, I saw the fish get away. If you look closely, you can see the green fish half out of the water, between the orange beak and the water............NGE

Attachments

• bird and turtle.jpg
    bird and turtle.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 197
  • I see you.jpg
    I see you.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 195
  • gotcha.jpg
    gotcha.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 187

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Good pictures! These birds have really big eyes, 'cause I watched one swallow a big vole, (I think) it was painful to watch that huge lump go down the neck, but he did it! It took several minutes. ugh! but cool, I thought they ate only fish and reptiles.

naturegirl

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats neat,thanks for the picture i see these guys all the time, jamey

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, NGE, Some good action shots here. Good going.

Thanks for sharing
Ray

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, how I love/hate those birds. You would understand if you had a pond and watched them gobble down 12" bass. It's a shame they can't be blasted legally!

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what ya mean, But you're kucky not to have the cormorant problems this lake has. The DNR has to come out and regularily and trap them. They don't stab at fish, they chase them underwater.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread