Great box of nickels

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I had the urge to get some coins but my usual pick up bank for dimes was to far away for me to walk in the snow to so I went to my dump bank, where I only dump dimes, less often pennies then very rarely nickels. I haven't done nickels in months so I decided to pick up a box of them and I am glad I did. I ended up with 3 pounds of pure nickel, 37 American nickels including a 1940 S in decent shape. I wasn't expecting an American this old but I was excited when I found it. Half way through the box I saw a faded roll with a young queen portrait ender and I knew this would be a great roll. It contained a 1940 George VI, 1950 George VI, (first time I found 2 kings in the same roll that wasn't stacked :icon_thumright: ) 9 young queens, 1963 50 ØRE from norway, 1994 10 centavos from Brazil and the rest of the roll was pure nickel.
In the rest of the box I found a 1937 George VI, 1953, 10 Rappen switzerland, 1970 (low mintage), 5 centavos from Brazil. A total of 30 young queens and 3 George VI.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds :thumbsup:

I'd love to be able to find so many pure nickel nickels. It would be a lot better than hoarding copper memorial cents.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Are the George VI and young queen nickels worth more, or more collectible (in Canada, at least)?

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
FormerTeller said:
Are the George VI and young queen nickels worth more, or more collectible (in Canada, at least)?
They are worth more as collectable coins. They are sort of like wheat pennies or pre 1960 american nickels. Average low grade coins are worth a minimum of 25 cents and then depending on the date and grade they could be worth anything more than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions