Great deal not so good....need help.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I must just look stupid. :dontknow:
We went to a yard sale where a fellow had 3 full totes full of costume jewelry. In picking through it, a few pieces of sterling began to show up, including heavy bracelet stamped 925 in about 6 places.
A few smaller pieced included some light necklaces and a pendant, some shell-shaped earrings, etc.

Upon examination, the large bracelet hit the magnet like it was made out of nails. :BangHead:
The rest of it acted in the same way.

I'm a little more wary now, and I realize that 925 stamps can be bought online.

I'd like to get a good acid test kit--who makes a good one?

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you get the kit throw the silver acid out. Too many varying colors of red for the silver percentages. Use the 18k acid and and Sterling will turn a creamy electric blue on the stone.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
when you get the kit throw the silver acid out. Too many varying colors of red for the silver percentages. Use the 18k acid and and Sterling will turn a creamy electric blue on the stone.

This is interesting, I'd never heard that. I'll certainly be one to check it out! Thanks for the tip.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of the dealers do the same thing. I will not use the silver one ever. The 18 K will turn milky white if it's real or fake it'll go away completely.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't pick something up at a yard sale and Acid tested in front of the customer. Your $2 item will become $25. Just had to say it... Most of the silver I find is tarnished black or dark gray. Unless it's a dealer selling it or is it something that was new most of it is not Shiny. I get tunnel vision and will do the same thing too but I'm so used to the look and feel of it I don't get very much wrong very often.

(It has a certain taste too if you lick it) just don't get caught, it's embarrassing when you do! :)~

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my yard sale silver jewelry finds are cheap enough to risk it not being good. Plus I've handled enough to know for the most part. It helps that my scrap buyer also buys magnetic Sterling. I never test other than magnet at yard sales.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely agree to throw the silver acid test out and just use the 18K gold acid to test silver.

I'm still new compared to some many people on here, but still have found a few fake .925 marked places. After a while you will be able to just look at a piece and know if it is silver or not. Get to know the weight too. Silver is light. I never use a magnet and the new fake stuff us usually non-magnetic anyway.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I don't know about all you guys tossing out your silver acid. I have an electronic gold tester so I only buy silver acid. I have no problem whatsoever, however I don't use a stone. A small drop right on the object and the acid turns red with a white or nearly white spot on the object just below it. A 2nd drop in the same place should do the same thing to ensure it's not electroplated. Anything else: sizzling or bubbling, green, puff of smoke, or stink indicate it is not silver. Some real old silverplate is actually closer in thickness to gold-filled, so only testing on a deep scratch will reveal the truth. That's only AFTER I bought it, of course.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't pick something up at a yard sale and Acid tested in front of the customer. Your $2 item will become $25. Just had to say it... Most of the silver I find is tarnished black or dark gray. Unless it's a dealer selling it or is it something that was new most of it is not Shiny. I get tunnel vision and will do the same thing too but I'm so used to the look and feel of it I don't get very much wrong very often.

(It has a certain taste too if you lick it) just don't get caught, it's embarrassing when you do! :)~

This may sound a bit gross but he's right, silver has a particular taste. The best part? Silver is anti-microbial so you won't need to worry about getting a hairy tongue after licking some strangers silver jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions