great deppresion coin caches?

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
hey everyone i dont know if the is the place for it but what the heck......
umm like i read in whites 25 best kept secrets to finding tresure,
that people in the great deppresion used too bury there money with the idea to dig it up again.
i live in bartow county GA and was wondering if there was anywere that there would be coin caches and is it true what the book said?
replys appreciated!mxt 8)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mindset existed long before the Great Depression and goes on today, too. Buy the book Search!, by Warnke and you'll see all the places goodies have been found; from chimney cap to foundation footings.

OP
OP
G

garrets250

Oct 19, 2007
realy?
pretty cool.so like would around old remins of 1800s houses be good?
thanks in advance,
MxT

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Any homes that were in existence during the depression would be fair targets.

Especially some of the ones farther away from major cities.
Farmers have for the most part always been lower income than most of the heavier populated areas, and would have a greater reason to hide a small cache of hard cash.

OD

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Do not limit your searches to just depression era houses. People who lived during the bank closings of the depression stashed cash at home years after the depression. Eastern Kentuckians still do not trust banks! Good luck.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garrets250 said:
thanks.................
any areas in GA bartow county that would be good?

The simple answer is, ALL areas where you find the older homes or homesites. Just remember the 2 cardinal rules of THing. (1) Get permission from the property owner and (2) Leave the area looking like you were never there.
If you're searching a place in the country, be sure to check the outbuildings. Especially old chicken coop sites. Many a farmer hid his ready cash in containers buried inside their chicken coops because those chickens would raise H--- if disturbed at night or during the day by strangers.
Be very, very careful around old wells and cisterns and don't search these areas alone. Things do happen and if you're out alone, it could be serious. Have fun, but be safety-conscience.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Although I haven't found a cache of any great size yet the tip that always stuck in my mind was that people hid their valuables in or around chicken coops. If anyone got close the chickens raised more hell then any watch dog, lol. I always look for the chicken coop when I detect old farms.

Charlie

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
One other place to check is around fence posts bases. Under fence posts was a popular place to hide caches for people who wouldn't use banks. In fact, this practice was so popular that Sears and Roebuck even sold a fence post safe that was intended just for the purpose of hiding valuables under fence posts. The instructions even recommended what fence post to use, but I can't remember what I heard about that. This was an easy way to remember or document secretly where the valuables were stashed.
xXx

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
anywhere it could be hiding under floor boards, steps, in walls, by the old tree, under a fence post or just a stone in the yard as a marker. could be anywhere so don't give up and assume nothing is there. I know of a found a 1 1/2 foot piece of silver that was a sock tube of silver dolllars where a old boarding house burnt was. It was found after others had search the area.

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007
ok my question is how do u find where the chicken coop was a 100 years ago or so? are there any signs? thanx

Newguy

Greenie
Mar 1, 2008
I've found 2 caches.....both without a metal detector and not even looking for them.
I own a termite company and do inspections of subareas as part of the inspection and find all kinds of "stuff" from decayed bags of coinage to guns and drugs not to mention mountains of cat sheet and dead animals, even a long block 8cyl partially buried under a house.

One young couple I'll never forget was really depressed halfway through my inspection on the house they bought "as is"..bout 30k in damage and infestation. When I asked them "did they want the bad news first or the good" they asked for the "bad" and totally forgot to ask about the "good" after giving them the "approx 30k damage" info so I had to ask them did they want the "good news"? ......a large decayed canvas bag of silver dollars and assorted other coins was the good news, I had found it hidden in a small hard to get to spot under their "new" house they just used every penny they had to purchase....estimate about 40#s of old coins, they about both fainted.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I commend you for your honesty, My friend.
That kind of thing doesn't happen everyday.

Kind of make you feel all warm and fuzzy.
LOL

Glad you made the blow a lot easier for them.

Set yourself up for a humdinger of a find that should be yours down the road.
What goes around will come back around, it always does.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread