Great depth with the Delta 4000

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out this evening with my new Delta 4000(2nd time). All I can say is :o I hit a quarter at 8" with the sensitivity at 7 and also a dime at 8", plus this machine hits nickels dead on. Now of course I did dig some pull tabs ::) but all in all I am very impressed with this machine. All total clad from the playground area i detected was only $1.25 but just finding coins at those depths was fun.The depth meter was spot-on as well as the the pinpointing. Oh, and I did find a hot wheel.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Delta is a great coin machine. Way overlooked!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I use one and for the price -great bang for the buck in my book .--very light weight too big plus for folks that can not tote a "heavy machine" due to helth issues

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very lightweight machine indeed. I was concerned about the fixed ground balance but after a couple of times out I can see this will not be an issue. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if one hits highly minerialized spots --just adjust the sensitivity down till she "cools" off

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Delta and the Gamma can easily be "cooled off". Gamma 6000 has ground balance too! :headbang:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if one properly ground balances * unless the spot is way crazy with hot zones --cooling off by lower the sensitivy level should not really be needed much (some folks just run their sensitivy way too high)-- the issue with preset machines is that once in a while you find a bit of land that due to minerals or iron (red clay) type soils is a bit out of the preset 's "basic soil range" of operation its designed for -- and being unable to manually reset it to cope for the soil conditions -- the only real opition is to lower the machines sensitivity level --which loses a bit of depth but makes the machine less "touchy" and possibly useful again. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

the whole term of "ground balancing" --means --to adjust your machine in such a way that it does not read naturally occuring "background minerals" as metal --yet still reads all the metal items in the soil.

in the old days one had to "manually" ground balance / adjust ones machine to the soil each time one went out to a spot. --today many lower end metal detecting machines are of a preset balance type -- and will work in "range" of basically normal soil conditions --the problem is when the soil is out of the "preset" normal levels -- beep beep beep falsing all day long -- unless you "cool them down a bit" by dropping the sensitivty level till they settle down .

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Well Hey, I'm thinking about getting one of these for my girlfriend but we mostly just prospect for gold and ofcourse alot of the areas we go to are heavily mineralized. What would be your advice?...Darrell

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
for heavy mineral area type places go with the gamma * it has a manual ground balance ability thus it can be adjusted for the minerals in the area. :icon_thumright: gold areas tend to be highly mineralized

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Gamma and Omega can be used for casual gold prospecting. However the G2 is much better for that, and it's also an excellent general purpose machine especially where there's a lot of iron trash.

--Dave J.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the delta has a fixed GB - the gamma is "manually adjustible" GB -- if the area your working uis slightly mineral -- you can knock down the sensitivity level a bit most likely and get by --but if its heavy minerlized -- get a manually GB type unit like the gamma --cost more of course but if you live or detect in high mineral areas its a no brainer.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetic Delta 4000 and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had mine for 2 months now and it has been a good machine. I have gone to a park I go to all the time and in my back yard. Found just change so far. I had been able to run it at 12 sen with no probs but the last 2 times it has been giving erratic random false sigs. Even at 11 it is starting to do it. 10 I dont usually have any probs. Im not sure if it is interference since it was fine before at high sens. Like last night testing in my back yard I ran at 12 for about 15-20 mins disc set to 10 just to get solid signals. Was going good but after going over the is one spot getting about 40 beeps, its like the machine went "woah this is too much for me to compute" and it goes into crazy mode bp,bp,bp,bp,bp,bp,bp 19/55/78/90/67/44/64/ etc etc. So I pull up and move to a spot where I got no sigs and its silent for a swing or 2 and same thing happens. So I dont know why I cant run it at 12, interference? I have been thinking of getting the 11"DD coil but will it really help me get deeper I wonder because if it is interference I guess I would have to run it at a very low sens like 6-7 so not sure how that will help with depth. I am not familiar with anything other than the conc coils and after research discovering not only is the coil transmitting underneath but it also transmits above the coil and to the side to an extent. Is there like a way to cap or block the top of the coil so the trans sigs will only penetrate in a down ward direction only? Thnx

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha and Delta, Garrett At Pro, Garrett pro pointer.
I have the Delta 11dd coil and yesterday with the sensitivity set at 6 it was giving false signals. It was fine at 5, but that seems to low. I usually hunt at 8 or 9 sensitivity. Any advice?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
in some areas there are underground cables or overhead cables or electronic gear / motors in the area -- you thus get EMF -- electronic magnetic feedback -- basically put --its "bleed off" of electrical energy that your machines coil "picks up on" --your machine makes a electronic "cloud" of sorts around your coil --when a metal object enters this "electronic cloud" --it causes a "reaction" disturbing the "cloud" --this disturbance is detected by the machine and it "beeps" -- however random electronic power "bleed off" can also mess with the machines "cloud" causing false "beeps" -- all one can do is to "cool down" the machines ability to detect the power "bleed off" --by reducing the sensitivity until it no longer "picks up" the bothersome signals .-- similar problems occur at salt water beaches and other high mineral areas due to "feed back" from naturally occurring minerals which the detector "sees" as a wall of metal--again one must "rebalance" what the machine "sees" by adjusting its sensitivity downward so that it no longer "sees" the background minerals and runs "smoothly". --this is known as "ground balancing" --a properly "ground balanced" machine will run at its maximum ability to detect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread