Great finds from unclaimed boxes (including a possible error)

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
This post is partially to brag and partially to see if anyone else has run into the same thing as I have.

After a six month break (family issues), I decided to do a little CRH this past Friday since I was going to the bank anyway. To my surprise, the branch I went to have 5 unopened boxes of halves. I started talking to the vault teller and apparently they had a regular that was ordering several boxes a week but suddenly a few weeks ago stopped showing up. She said she had been sitting on those boxes for about 3 weeks and was happy to be rid of them. She agreed to order me a couple of boxes and I left her my card and told her if she should ever need to be rid of halves or any other unusual coinage to give me a call.

Fast forward to today: after dumping the last of the boxes of halves from Friday, I decided to stop by a Wells Fargo right next to the BofA I dumped at. Thankfully I kept $500 cash from depositing the boxes because they had one unclaimed box, fully sealed. I didn't get as much detail, but similar story that someone had ordered it a few weeks ago and never came to get it.

I'm curious if anyone else is encountering unclaimed boxes like this? I would think it was a single heavy searcher that had an emergency or just decided to drop the hobby for a while except these two banks were about 30 miles apart, one in the distant suburbs and the other in the city.

And what did I find you ask? Well the person or persons who left these behind would probably start weeping if they read this:

Friday:
Boxes 1 and 2 - skunk
Box 3 - 19-40% :hello2:
Box 4 - 2-40%
Box 5 - 1-40%

Today's box - 5-90% (3 1964s, 2 Franklins), 12-40% :blob7:

One of the 40% coins from today I think may be an error. I'm not a coin expert, but I think this is a broadstrike, although the face of the coin looks normal. It is a 1965 Kennedy with the reeding partially missing from part of the edge. The coin is in pretty good condition and it is obvious that it isn't just worn down as the unreeded portion sits higher than the reeded. I am trying to attach a picture of the edge in hopes someone can give me some more info on this find.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Occasionally I have came across boxes that banks had ordered for someone else but no one ever came to collect them. Mostly skunks and "twos and fews" though.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one like this too; folks here told me it's called a Partial Collar.

Congrats!

OP
OP
BillyOceansEleven

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
kennedyfan said:
I found one like this too; folks here told me it's called a Partial Collar.

Congrats!

You are awesome kennedyfan! I googled the term and from the pictures I found it looks like that is exactly what this is. There was one site that came up that said this would be worth about $50.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BillyOceansEleven said:
You are awesome kennedyfan! I googled the term and from the pictures I found it looks like that is exactly what this is. There was one site that came up that said this would be worth about $50.

Wow, not bad! Please follow up here if you end up selling it - I'd be curious to know how much it ended up going for. Maybe I'll sell mine too. Though it's pretty dang cool, so I might just hang onto it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread