GREAT HUNT!!! Confederate Officers button!! Silver Spoon!!!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Colonial/CW site has officially turned into my honey hole if it wasn't already. Went there on Saturday with VMI and about had a heat stroke! All i had to show was a small flat button. Got off work early yesterday and went back for more. First couple hours i spend in tall grass and weeds barely able to swing but it was under some big trees in the shade. After it cooled down I went back into the field that we first started detecting when we found the place and the grass was cut very short. I decided to grid it out so i went down the first line and my first signal about 5 yards in was a screaming 38-39. It was so loud i figured it might just be a can but it was a steady high reading. About 6 inches down popped this Silver Spoon/Fork handle i guess you would call it. At first I was hoping it was Colonial since the site is colonial but after I cleaned it up I could see the Sterling Pat. 1902. Bummer but my first silver other than a coin so I'm pumped. Plus you can see the makers mark. The middle anchor I'm pretty sure is Birmingham, England. The rest i don't know Feel free to let me know.

IMG_3487.jpg IMG_3488.jpg IMG_3489.jpg IMG_3490.jpg

Next target about another 5 yards away, maybe less, was this IHP. I think its a 1881. Hard to tell b/c its not cleaning that well. This was followed up with a couple flat buttons.

IMG_3500.jpg IMG_3501.jpg

I worked my way back to where I started that first line of the grid and started on my second line and within 3 minutes I get a very solid 34-35 which is my button range. I dig the plug and about 4 inches out pops a two piece button. After a little light brushing I see the Eagle on it! Backmark reads Extra Rich Treble Gilt. After some research I believe it is an English manufactured Confederate Officer button w/ 11 stars 24mm. You can still see the gilt on the button. Not sure if i want to clean it or not. I know aluminum jelly will get the gilt to really come back to life but I'm nervous to clean it anymore. Either way my best CW Button. (The button was dug about 15 yards from my Charleston Police Button)

IMG_3491.jpg IMG_3493.jpg IMG_3495.jpg

The rest...First thing to me looks like a percussion cap for maybe a pistol. It is pretty small so I'm not too sure. Last thing is a brass whatzit. Y'all tell me what you think it is, it looks to me like maybe a reigns guide. It has a hinge in the middle of it. Please let me know if you have any more info on any of my finds. It was a pretty great day for me definitely one of the best.

IMG_3496.jpg IMG_3498.jpg IMG_3502.jpg IMG_3503.jpg IMG_3504.jpg

Upvote 15

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some really nice finds! That spoon handle has some really nice detail, so a good chance you might be able to get a good ID on that one. CW button is awesome! Sorry, but no help on the whatsit.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CSA button!!!! I'm slobbering! Great finds and nice post. Thanks for sharing

HH RN

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The sterling handle is really really nice... but that button is a spectacular!

Congrats on a really sweet hunt!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Sweet Staff Button. & Silver is good to as is IH Flat buttons.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds. A little clearer picture of the marks on the spoon may help on Id but the anchor is for Birmingham England I believe. I bet the rest of that silver spoon is around there somewhere! [emoji2]

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and that button is very high on my list!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are excellent finds, congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honey hole is right. :thumbsup: You dug some real keepers. You certainly dug your share of buttons.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I think I might have what the hallmark is. It had me confused because the right facing lion and the anchor. I believe that is a Gorham Hallmark. Gorham is a Rhode Island silver corporation which started in 1831.

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest: