Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt last evening, need a "BIG" copper ID please

Went out hunting last evening at a new field site. Thought I was done field hunting but found a procrastinating farmer who hadn't started planting yet. I couldn't believe this site was so good because it is near a local town that has tons of MD'ing pressure. In fact, there is even a MD'ing store and club right there and they pound all of the sites in that area. Anyway, this was a site that was on the 1860 map but gone by 1872. It sat out in the field a little ways but it didn't take long to find the iron patch. I started finding the usual brass targets (heel plates, suspender clips, etc...) and then hit a great signal. My SE was yelling at me to dig. After digging down about 8", I found the target. When I grabbed it, I thought...holy cow, big coin. My heart skipped a beat because I first thought I had an old silver dollar. Once I saw the coin, I could tell it wasn't silver but knew it was something decent. I see a lot of similar coins to this one on T-net, but could use your help for the specifics. This coin is approximately 33 mm and dated 1831. Saw some similar examples on google but what is this coin specifically (denomination)? Also got an 1853 LC and an 1852 Half Penny Token. Found quite a few buttons and one large one that reminds me of the Tombac buttons I see on here. Is that what this one is? It is smooth on the other side. I have never found one and can't say I know anyone local that has found one either. Got a piece of a monster crotal bell, and lots of miscellaneous, most of which I didn't include in the photo. Thanks for looking once again.

104_4318-1.jpg

104_4321.jpg

104_4320.jpg

104_4322.jpg

104_4323.jpg

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Great hunt last evening, need a "BIG" copper ID please

Great Buttons and Coppers !!!
I think some of those buttons are a lot earlier than the coins,
Looks like you found a great site.
can't help much on the token, I know about as much as you've posted.
Love the St George?? image on the reverse :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that is a large Canadian or British one penny. Fantastic hunt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

British William IIII Penny

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Thanks for the help. I thought because of the size of it that the face value would be worth more than just a penny :-\. It's thicker than an LC and quite a bit larger. Big enough in fact that when I found the LC soon after, I thought maybe the LC was actually a half cent :o.
Here's a question for any of you that might know this ... Was that particular coin used as regular currency in the states and if so, when did they stop? I have heard that reales and such were good but wasn't sure about this one. Thanks!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhangers said:
CRUSADER said:
Thanks for the help. I thought because of the size of it that the face value would be worth more than just a penny :-\. It's thicker than an LC and quite a bit larger. Big enough in fact that when I found the LC soon after, I thought maybe the LC was actually a half cent :o.
Here's a question for any of you that might know this ... Was that particular coin used as regular currency in the states and if so, when did they stop? I have heard that reales and such were good but wasn't sure about this one. Thanks!

A Penny was a lot of money back then.
2 Halfpennies=1 Penny
4 Farthings=1 Penny
Farthings would buy many things back then.

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wonderful finds!! Lots of old pennies congrats!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a great spot you found :thumbsup: That is a tombac button there.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow Mark,
That is fascinating that you are able to find these finds at home. Congratulations buddy on that William IIII !

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Wallhangers said:
CRUSADER said:

A Penny was a lot of money back then.
2 Halfpennies=1 Penny
4 Farthings=1 Penny
Farthings would buy many things back then.
Thanks Cru, sometimes it's easy to not realize how simple things were then. Probably explains why most of us only find old pennies and the higher denominations don't show up as much.
steelheadwill said:
Great Buttons and Coppers !!!
I think some of those buttons are a lot earlier than the coins,
Looks like you found a great site.
can't help much on the token, I know about as much as you've posted.
Love the St George?? image on the reverse :thumbsup:
Thanks Herbie, I think you are correct on the old buttons. There should be some older coins at this site yet to be found
Steve in PA said:
Looks like a great spot you found :thumbsup: That is a tombac button there.
Thanks Steve. That tombac is a first for me. Looks like silver when it comes out of the ground but a lower tone on my SE.
Woodland Detectors said:
Wow Mark,
That is fascinating that you are able to find these finds at home. Congratulations buddy on that William IIII !
Thanks Mike. We talked a little bit on the phone about the research aspect. I knew this site was gone by 1872 but what suprised me when I got there was how big the iron patch was and how much broken glass was on the surface. Appears to have had a lot of use so I would guess it was inhabited between 1840-1870 (just a guess). There should be more and some older coins there to be found yet :thumbsup:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

superb hunt, great finds!

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

I believe Spanish dollars were one of the common coins used in the states (as well as in other colonies) at the end of the 18c as well as in the beginning of the 19c. They were in circulation along with British coinage and newly introduced American own currency due to the lack of the later. Often coins were accepted by weight rather than denomination. I found some old British pennies that were neatly halved to substitute them for half pennies and I have not found a single old farthing. So I assume that pennies were the most common denomination among the coppers in the colonies. I wonder what value old Chinese coins had. Were they equalled to farthings? :icon_scratch:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, primo finds WH! :hello2: Love the big penny and coppers, buttons too. :notworthy: :thumbsup:

Got a piece of a monster crotal bell, ::)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread