Great Hunt!

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT HUNT! I didn't strike gold but this first find is better in my opinion. Yesterday, I went to the Rocky River in Stanly Co., NC to a location where there was some strange rock structures stacked up along the bank. I think that is where a ferry crossing used to be. I started metal detecting there for my first time. The first hit I found this 1908-O silver quarter! It appears to be extremely fine or better. I walked out on a sand bar and found the canine tooth next. Maybe the "fossil guru" here can give me a better idea what it is. I picked up a few river smooth stones for my girlfriend also. I was amazed how rhyolite is such a natural occurring material in that part of NC. I decided to take a few samples before making my way out of there. Next, I went to an area where there is a clear cut in Cabarrus Co., east of Charlotte, NC. There was a lot more clear cut areas, but I only had time to search that one. I end up finding some artifacts. As you can see in the pictures most are broken. I picked up a few heartbreakers, some flake knives and scrapers made of quartz or rhyolite. The best point I found I took an insitu, I spotted that milky colored quartz from 5 yards away. That field I was searching was full of trash, glass, natural rhyolite and I found another marble, lol. Also, I had an unexpected visitor. A 4ft long black snake eased his way past me. I didn't mind him there, so I just kept hunting. It was great to make a few finds yesterday. Definitely worth the trip! WOOHOO!

Attachments

• 0403141410.jpg
    0403141410.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 0403141411.jpg
    0403141411.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 0404141305.jpg
    0404141305.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 0403141653.jpg
    0403141653.jpg
    822.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 0403141654.jpg
    0403141654.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going on vacation or making a trip to the store could have your next treasure. Ya never know! For example, I stopped at the line of a busy intersection one day in Greensboro and I seen a green paper bill floating in the wind. I thought $100 bill! I jumped out and picked it up and it was a $20! The guy next to me said you get $100!? I said nope but $20 is good enough for me! I remember that man seemed so excited too, like he wanted to get out of his company van and run over there so he could see it too. Lol!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Tooth looks to be too big for coyote. Coyotes teeth would be the same size as a dog. That looks like bear tooth.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tooth looks to be too big for coyote. Coyotes teeth would be the same size as a dog. That looks like bear tooth.

That area I found it is just east of the Uhwarrie Mtns. Black bears are usually spotted near waterways and tributaries too. It could be a young bear so I think that is a very good guess buddy!

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Wow! Great hunt! In the picture with the group of artifacts, up top is a smooth long stone. What is that? Do you have more pics of that one? Nice stuff! Nice plug for our state also! Lol!

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great hunt! In the picture with the group of artifacts, up top is a smooth long stone. What is that? Do you have more pics of that one? Nice stuff! Nice plug for our state also! Lol!

I found it along the sand bank of the Rocky River. There were so many rounded, smooth stones there. They were blue, green, yellow, orange and red colors; some multi-colored. The stones look like a tumbled rhyolite or agates. I picked up a few small smooth colorful ones for my girlfriend also. The area reminds me of a time when that place could have been sub-tropical or something; the sand even seemed like beach sand. I believe it is just a natural stone though; however, if it were ever used by a Native American I believe it could have been a grinding stone. I picked it up just b/c it's unique shape didn't match the others either. Heck, I think it could probably be used to sharpen a stainless steel knife today too. Which one you think is the plug?

Last edited:

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You would be really surprised to see how many acres have been clear-cut. There's more lots down that highway from there too. That area is opening for new housing developments, golf courses or large businesses. My friend, Brian, said he has a friend that went to Chesterfield Co., SC and came back with over 150 arrowheads in one day. It seems like these areas are located on the country outskirts of Charlotte. I like using Google Earth too but it doesn't have the most up-to-date imagery to see these clear-cut lots.

I use google earth on my smart phone a lot. There is a free plug in that you can download that will add a topographical overlay. It is great to be able to see elevation!!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I found it along the sand bank of the Rocky River. There were so many rounded, smooth stones there. They were blue, green, yellow, orange and red colors; some multi-colored. The stones look like a tumbled rhyolite or agates. I picked up a few small smooth colorful ones for my girlfriend also. The area reminds me of a time when that place could have been sub-tropical or something; the sand even seemed like beach sand. I believe it is just a natural stone though; however, if it were ever used by a Native American I believe it could have been a grinding stone. I picked it up just b/c it's unique shape didn't match the others either. Heck, I think it could probably be used to sharpen a stainless steel knife today too. Which one you think is the plug?
Lol! Plug! A plug is an advertisement or promotion. When actors go on Letterman, they normally have a movie about to hit the big screen. They may not make mention of the new film off the start, instead they kinda bring it up in an "as a matter of fact" type manner. Your visit NC post was a plug for our state. It's not a bad thing. It's actually a good thing!! We need to work on people's subconscious and bring them in here.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! Might as well let 'em know what they're missing, if they don't. I can post some more good threads later also. I have that nice blade I found last month that I haven't showed yall either. I'm going to finally get a smartphone this week so I'll finally be able to have more internet access. I'll definitely download the Google Earth app also. I like using Google Earth, just for that reason. To see changes in elevation, to see potential deposit zones and how the land lays out before I go to a new location. If anyone has anymore ideas/techniques they use w/ Google Earth I'd enjoy learning them.

Last edited:

Searchdog

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all those nice finds esp. that beautiful barber!

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm being told by my buddy that I need to bring a bigger box for next time. I know what he's thinkin'! Lol! 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions