Great Idea for Government to generate revenue for the national debt

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If the mint wants to make money manufacturing products .. they should just manufacture a very low population coin (special design attractive coin for a low mintage of like 50 total coins) & get it graded ms 69 or 70 by PCGS to sell to millionaire collectors at auctions. That way they're creating a rarity like the 1933 St. Gaudins coin. They should sell the very low pieces to rich collectors like Gary Buss (LA Lakers owner who has to own every US coin in his collection) for one million a piece at an auction. I guarantee there are at least 50 multi-millionaire collectors in this country who have to own an example of every coin made in this country. This would net like 50 million dollars of revenue for the government for health reform. WOW.. what a great idea.. call the mint or Obama.. just wanted to hear what people's thoughts are. They could do this every year for a different design.. only mint 50 specimens of them.. this would be the high end commerative for the ubber rich. It would be like the Versace or Rolls Royce for high end numesmatics. Plus it wouldn't cost the mint much just to make 50 specimens right?

There are plenty of rich people who have more money than what they know to do with in this country. Example my friend's sister was a struggling artist whose highest painting was bought by their family friend for $10,000. It seemed like they helped her out by charity in buying her painting. People also waste their money buying the newest designs at high prices when they just go down in value later.. like those new pennies. There's so many made that at least every person in America could have one.. what is so rare or good about paying premiums for new coins that have high mintages?

Upvote 0

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
If they made them, sooner or later some very lucky CRH would find one. Circulated - it'd only be worth 1/2 Mil$. Oh well. :laughing9:

katzky

Sep 15, 2009
I think you fail to factor in the massive corruption overhead associated with our beloved federal government. It would likely cost tax payers $2 million / coin to produce.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah.. it won't happen but I think it's a good idea.. if only they had the same salaried employee design them.. like FG (Frank G. who designed Kennedy's, IKES.. etc). They spend time marketing them too.. it would cost about a couple of million to produce them but 50 million in revenue would be great. The manufacturing part is easy. Basically it's the design & marketing that costs the most. I think that the government should also go towards other ways of making money like a company than rely solely on taxes. ..

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm not saying that FG was a great designer but rather a mint employee that regularly designs them.. instead of the mass campaign of statehood quarters artist contests. AW was a better designer who designed the Walker & Mercury

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Another thought... why don't the government start auctioning some error coins for profit.. I'm sure errors are made everyday.. they just get destroyed. They can contract with PCGS to sell government sanctioned error coins of lower quantity.. I got this idea from those mint wrapper Kennedy's. It's a joke that people pay higher premiums for Kennedy's in some hokey mint paper wrapper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread