great idea/wont happen

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
great idea/won't happen

There are 3,000 forum members. Start of the year, everyone sends $5 to a central location. For arguement sake, say 1,000 people actually send in the money. It's placed in a fund. You have to send in $ to be eligible. End of the year, all members (in the fund or not) vote on the best finds. Top prize--$3,000, second--$2,000, 3rd--$1000, or adjusted based on number of participants. Too bad that there would be no way to tell if people actually found the item or other means of fraud given it only takes a few rotten apples to ruin it when it comes to money. Would be cool if it could be done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: great idea/won't happen

My math stinks on the prize allocation, but you get the idea.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

First of all, I'm sorry to say, that out of 3000, only 10 will send in the money (and I'll end up refunding that!!!) - but that being said...? ???? I would love to put together SOMETHING - don't know about the voting on the best find idea -? early on, (this site has been in existence since 1994!!!!!)? ? I thought we'd have an annual meet somewhere - with hunts - maybe even classes on ground penetrating radar, aerial infrared, and a few other techniques I'm familiar with... and would like to share - of course all the detector manufacturers, retailers, etc, would also be invited...? but several entities poo pood the idea because of liability, etc...? still could be fun and interesting...

but keep them ideas coming!!!!? If I can help in any way let me know!!!!

I like fun!? :-)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Liability ? I guess I'm missing something here, BUT Personally I thought us Detectorists, Of ALL People. Realize We Are Responsable For Our Own Actions. unlike the general public who think everyone else is responsable for their stupidity. <> I know personally, anytime I do something Stupid, like reach into glass, I BLAME MYSELF. Not the Landowner

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004

Dont laugh about liability, I lost a great Bow hunting spot because of it. And several towns over we lost a great off road riding place cause some jerk hurt himself and then sued the land owner for not having a safe riding area! Was not even supposed to be there. Cladius.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Know, one of my BIGGEST turn-Down reasons is Fear I may get Hurt. I ALWAYS Explain how we are NOT intrested in blaming others for our carelesness. DOSN'T Always work tho' . STILL P*&^%'S Me Off Tho' . I know one Landowner who was sued over an ATV accident . & the ATV Driver was Tresspassing at the time & Still Won. It's More then a shame, It's CRIMINAL in my opinion !!!

SearchingTudor

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

"It's More then a shame, It's CRIMINAL..."
Amen, and well said Jeff. It is criminal when people come trespass (a crime), get hurt on your property, then sue YOU, the rightful land-owner and WIN. You said it best.

~The Rainbow Warrior Scout~

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to America,isn't it sickening how attorneys use the legal system to contort the laws to favor the tresspasser as opposed to the landowner.Hey look here's a loophole >:(.Most people just can't see the BIG picture.Common sense is becoming an endangered trait.See Ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread