Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
For many years now I've been fascinated by the Great Lakes. I think I've read just about everything posted on here and elsewhere.

The "bottom" line is these wrecks are not, for the most part, being sought with modern technology.

The Great Lakes will one day be, in my opinion, the last frontier for shipwrecks. Due to many factors, little is being done to locate them.? One major factor being the pay-off.? Great Lakes wrecks usually carried coal and other such perishable cargos. There are exceptions but we don't see Spanish Galleons filled to the brim with pieces of eight. However, some would hold various types of liquor and merchandise that could be very profitable. I know of (saw his ads on ebay) someone who did find such a wreck and he made BIG bucks selling 19th century store goods. He was getting as much as $300 ea. (as I recall) for bottles of booze. People love shipwreck stuff. It's major business today. Even ship timbers and fittings are hot.

If you check ebay you will find a man selling Great Lakes shipwreck videos. If you write to him he will communicate (nice guy). I believe he's located in Canada but knows the lakes well. You might try contacting him for leads.

Hint: Find an important wreck that had plenty of casualties--identify it--research it--write a big story about it--have some country singer do a song about it and make yourself famous! Just make sure you don't mess with the authorities.

Best to you.

Zeb

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Here's a link to the reason why Great Lakes shipwrecks salvages aren't a real hot topic for treasure hunters.

http://www.baillod.com/shipwreck/projects/wrecklaw/

If you were ever lucky enough to find the legendary schooner treasure off of Poverty Island (considering the consequences, a very fitting name), rumored to be in 5 chests lashed together holding 4 million in gold, not only will you NOT get the treasure, but they'll give you a very heavy fine plus confiscate everything you have with you (i.e. gear, boat, vehicle...)

I think I'll stay on dry land.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Arakronn said:
Here's a link to the reason why Great Lakes shipwrecks salvages aren't a real hot topic for treasure hunters.

http://www.baillod.com/shipwreck/projects/wrecklaw/

If you were ever lucky enough to find the legendary schooner treasure off of Poverty Island (considering the consequences, a very fitting name), rumored to be in 5 chests lashed together holding 4 million in gold, not only will you NOT get the treasure, but they'll give you a very heavy fine plus confiscate everything you have with you (i.e. gear, boat, vehicle...)

I think I'll stay on dry land.

Right on! Take pictures and tell a story but keep the patty-whackers off. One would probably do better to work with the authorities as apposed to fighting them. You can make a lot of money selling videos, books, and making public appearances. Probably a lot more than you'd get off most Great Lakes wrecks.

If the Poverty Island story is true the treasure was most likely removed years ago (just a guess).

Better go treasure story hunting? ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread