great places to hunt but "no skill"

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
great places to hunt but "no skill"

I live in a civil war history rich area of va, and have permission to hunt some good places(old home sites, old roads and the such) which or all close to major CW battles. However, I don't seem to have the luck finding stuff that one would think. All I keep finding is aluminum can tops and tabs. Again the area where I am hunting played a major roll in the CW.....any tips would be appreciated........

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: great places to hunt but "no skill"

What sort of detector are you using to hunt with? Most areas are not spilling over with things to find. I had to make 3 400 or more drives to the same area before I found my first bullet. I was only able to locate a place to hunt when on my 3rd trip I ran into a helpful local who directed my to a area on his farm where he said other folks with detectors had found items. Some of the more serious battlefields and highly traveled and camped in areas gave better results then the smaller battles. I was also hunting with entry level coin detectors and not relic specific detectors. Once I purchased a detector that was better for the soil conditions and made for hunting relics my yield was much higher but I still walked by bucket off. This was back in the early 70's. A 99 dollar detector isn't going to produce results like the mid to high range detectors will. You get what you pay for there. But then again a bottom line detector and good luck will outhunt a great detector and bad luck.
The first thing you want to do when you ask a detector related question is identify which detector you are using then the forum can go from there.

OP
OP
JC dig's

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250

I have a fisher 1236-x2 its not great but i have found stuff with it. I'm teetering on the edge of buying an XLT today, been thinking about it for a while. My boss has one and seems to have good luck with it or he just has a good place to hunt. Probably the latter, he's real secretive about where he goes. I'm going to try a new place on monday, it's pretty close to Brandy Station. This will give the fisher one more chance. Thanks for the help

K

Kentucky Kache

Get the xlt. It's one of the best, IMO. Then, with practice and patience, you should see a difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread