Green Berets found at auction

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are three caps showing three stars and two stripes. They are made by,
"United Hatters Cap & Millinery Wkrs Intnl. Union"

The three stars and two stripes on the three factory made hats is the flag of Washington D. C. I do not know what that means in regards what role a soldier would play showing that insignia.

There is also one that looks handmade and shows the usual lightning bolts and sword for Airborne except this one shows two lightning bolts instead of three. Not a clue what this means but I guess Green Berets were allowed to modify their insignia's and hand stitch their own caps. It also seems they were allowed to choose any millinery that they wanted to based on the fact that there are so many variations of makers for these.

I was guessing that these are 60's, picked them up for $6 at a local auction. You can see on one of the caps that there used to be a medal pinned to it.

Upvote 5

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what they are but I don't believe they are Green Beret caps. Military in style but I believe made for civilians. I could be wrong but thats my first thoughts without researching the insignias.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty sure diggummup is correct as I can't find either of the Flashes (Unit Insignia for a Beret) online.

US Army Special Forces Military Flashes ~ USA Green Beret Store

https://www.eaglesofwar.com/c-8-beret-flashes-and-background-trimmings.aspx

Also, I want to note that many Countries have adopted the Green Beret for their' Soldiers to wear daily or for special events but they are not supposed to be worn in combat or combat training, although some likely do just like our Green Berets often did in Vietnam and elsewhere.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find ya never know

Gary18

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I just wanted to say what a great site. Years ago in the 80's I started metal detecting with a Garrett Groundhog and graduated to a Whites 6000 DI Series II Pro. Great times. Life and work kind of got in the way so I haven't detected in quite a while, however I never lost "the bug". Regarding the Green Beret (Army Special Forces) discussion. To be concise, in SF there are various units (Command and Groups, etc). Each has it's own designated "flash". Each Green Beret assigned to that unit wears the unit's flash on his beret as a means of unit affiliation. Officers wear their rank centered on the beret flash. Enlisted soldiers (who form the backbone of the units) wear the SF regimental insignia. Below is an example. The berets in question appear well made and appear to be of a civilian type design based on the seam displayed in the second picture. Current US military berets are seamless. Regarding the flashes, it's common for various civic and fraternal organizations that desire to wear berets as part of their own apparel to develop their own flash. It appears that's what we have here as the pattern of each flash doesn't match any SF unit that I was aware of or that I could find on the web. In sum, they look like well made wool berets with embroidered flashes designed to emulate Army SF headgear.

Attachments

• DSCN7849.JPG
    DSCN7849.JPG
    592.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN7850.JPG
    DSCN7850.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 72

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gary for the clarification and welcome to TNet! We hope you will stay with us, take up metal detecting again and share adventures and finds with us. I left the U.S. Army 40 years ago on March 30, 1978 and since I was not in the Special Forces, I am not up on a lot of the caps and gear that the units used or have used since that time. Again, thanks for the clarification!

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it.

As far as I can tell they were allowed to use any millinery that they wanted to make their cap there for I would not be surprised to see extreme variations in construction.

I would also assume that all four hats belonged to the same person, that being said I was also thinking that they might be fraternal. Most likely ex military?

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you who served in the military. Our country would be a very different place without people like you who helped keep us all safe and free. Hats off to all of you and God bless you. I cannot thank you enough and we all need to be grateful for your sacrifice and service. :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I'm retire Civil affairs, the forum is the shoulder patch (you won't see that as a beret flash) the beret flash is not any civil affairs I'm familiar with. But these beret flashes are real. I found two variants. These are Vietnam period, the lightning bolt and sword is "Mike Force" Vietnam special forces and the starred once may be Vietnamese but I cannot find it yet:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Force-Vietnam-Special-Forces-beret-flash-patch-138-/192103055999
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Force...itm=191224410272&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.8oNgC4e6dYI

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Can only think of 9 nations that use the Green among their Special Operations, 6 of which use a Cap Badge and not a flash, and only two nations have Flash Backing, but really I met few and far between that did not cut that, look back up to Garys post and his Command Flash you can tell is cut. You could check out the Finns Coastal Crazys, I mean Rangers. Trained with a few but it was not one of those soft hat sort of events and since they are the only ones left with Flash Backs I could not say

Maybe it is from the Girl Scouts Paintball team, they are about the only ones I can think of who do not shave it and cut.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to say MACV-SOG in my first post. But that would be a pure guess. Maybe it is buried in some obscure records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Assistance_Command,_Vietnam_–_Studies_and_Observations_Group

Update: Guy in my area selling an exact same patch on ebay.

Quote: The description for this patch from the book on beret flashes from WA HUDSPEATH states as follows "On a black shield bordered yellow-gold, a yellow-gold knife, point down. Over all 2 bendwise red lightning bolts. Reportedly worn by all MIKE FORCES in Vietnam c. 1966 on a limited basis, and embroidered on velvet".

Last edited:

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are real green berets. The one with the tails is something the unit issued. It probably was never worn because the label is still in it, tails are still on it, and it is not shaved. The other could have been made from a local source, and it looks shaved. So it could have been worn. The post about it being a MIKE force vietnam patch is probably correct. A lot of SF teams, especially during the Vietnam era, made up their own flashes. You can email the SFA or the JFKSWC Museum and ask if they recognize the flashes. These are very cool finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread