Green, Gold and Silver...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a few more trips back to the old “Spanish Fort” I managed to pull a few things out of this wonderful south Louisiana mud and shell’s, but these were the only things really worth posting.

Our first day at the fort I found two (2) really nice Mardi Gras doubloons. I know a lot of you from down around New Orleans area don’t think very highly of Mardi Gras doubloons and to be honest neither do I, but these were in such good shape I decided to post them anyway.

The next day I was running late and before I got to the fort, Truth dug that beautiful 1800’s infantry button!!! I really wish I was there when he unearthed it to see the look on his face and to celebrate with him, for digging a once in a life time find for most.

Well about an hour or so after I arrived and in the same area where he found his button and where I previously found my cuff link and two (2) silver quarters. I got a solid repeatable 12/45 on my CTX at seven (7) inches, in an area the both of us had covered a dozen times each and to be honest I figured I was sparking off another piece of iron or a square nail, but we decided we were digging everything an I’m glad I did, because out pops a 1941 “walking Liberty” half dollar!!! I don’t know who was happier, me or Truth!!!

I’ve always been a relic hunter and I’ve found old coins before in the past, to include silver half dollars but this one had a different look to it. Instead of that “silver bling” it was more of an oxidized whitish color, which I’ve never seen. I want to put it in a bezel and make a necklace out of it, so here’s my question to y’all. Should I leave it looking as it does in the pics below, that whitish look that Truth likes and say’s I should leave it as it is or do I clean the bling back to her as the better half suggest I do?

Anyhow, any and all suggestions or comments are appreciated and thanks for looking, take care, Happy Thanksgivings and may God bless!!!

“D”

20181121_234131.jpg

20181121_234442.jpg 20181121_234503.jpg

20181121_234258.jpg 20181121_234313.jpg

20181122_021151.jpg 20181122_021245.jpg

Upvote 22
Congrats on the silver! :icon_thumleft: That green token is really cool!

Great finds Possum. You and Truth are always killin' it. This is just my own personal opinion. I never clean any of the silver that I find. All I do is water off the dirt, and put the coin in a 2x2 holder, then in the plastic coin page. When I go back to look thru my coin album, I just prefer to remember them the way they came out of the ground. That being said, I have never put one of my Morgans, or any of my Half dollars in a bezel either. (You will notice that I didnt take sides between you and your wife) !! I say forget what all of us reply, and do what you want to do with it. You took the time to dig it, and its yours to do with, what you please.

Interesting find! :occasion14:

I love it I truly love it. I was so happy for you when you plugged that big think piece of silver out the ground. We were to kids again laughing. You looking like a kid on Christmas, me smiling but wondering how the hell I missed it. But seriously it was a great feeling seeing you find that and me being there to witness and being a part of it. I don’t clean my coins (anymore) but that one looks so white washed I could see way you want to let day bring her to life. I love black patina but that one is white from the shells in guess.

So I say do what you want because SHE’S ALL YOURS!!!!! Congratulations

Very nice finds Possum.Congrats :occasion14:

Great finds! I also am a firm never clean person. Cleaning too often takes away from the coins attractiveness.

If you put it in a bezel as is it will probably (eventually) start getting shinier from all the wear/rubbing/fondling/ that you will do to it...lol:thumbsup:

Sweet finds bro you 2 are killin it happy tday

Amazing finds possum. That walker is killer my man! Gotta agree with trezure here. I like to leave my coins the way I found them after only minimal clean up.

Happy wife equals happy life.LOL It will probably shine up some after being worn in the bezel anyways.

Very nice finds, congrats on the big silver, I`m still looking for one of them!:thumbsup:

Congrats on the finds! To be honest, no matter what you might use to try to bring back the shine to the 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, it will likely still have that whitish appearance. Salt Water intrusion and/or other contaminants have destroyed the Mint Luster on the coin and the only way to make the coin shiny, is to polish it.

Last edited:
It has no numismatic value, so, whatever you do to it won't hurt it's value. If the plan is to put it in a bezel and use it as jewelry, I'd get some jewelers's ruse and polish it up to a mirror shine and give it to my wife. You'll never have to ask to go detecting again! :laughing7:

It has no numismatic value, so, whatever you do to it won't hurt it's value. If the plan is to put it in a bezel and use it as jewelry, I'd get some jewelers's ruse and polish it up to a mirror shine and give it to my wife. You'll never have to ask to go detecting again! :laughing7:

Cuda,

I love your concept, especially as for the grief I get over spending more time detecting with Truth than the time I spend with her... LOL

"D"

Congrats on the finds! To be honest, no matter what you might use to try to bring back the shine to the 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, it will likely still have that whitish appearance. Salt Water intrusion and/or other contaminants have destroyed the Mint Luster on the coin and the only way to make the coin shiny, is to polish it.

Good point Huntsman, the forts ground has been saturated by saltwater from Lake Pontchartrain with every big storm that come through, not to mention the excessive amounts of shell's which were dredged from the lake and used for all types of foundations for centuries including the forts foundation... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back