Green River Whiskey Token and 1847 Large Cent

Corvid

Jan 5, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best couple of finds from the last two days. I've been over this same yard of an 1850's house close to 20 times and I keep pulling great things out of it! Love this token and the large cent is my first with a legible date. Any suggestions on how to clean it better? Or should I just leave as is? I soaked the token in olive oil and I think it looks great. I'm much more hesitant to do that with an old coin, but I'd love to get rid of the 'dirt' look in the fields of the coin. Thanks for looking!
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

Upvote 24

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, you can make a mild rust remover/cleaner with lemon juice and salt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! :occasion14:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave that largie just as is and wax it up. dont wanna mess with that one too much more. but thats just me! if you wanna try to go further the safest thing to do is soak in distilled water overnight. then gently, and i mean gently use a tooth pick on the areas you think needs cleaned. but you might jsut be rubbing off patina at this point, hard to tell from the photos.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I saw that was a good luck token, I looked to see if it had a swastika. I like the wishbone on it. As far as the cent goes...SWEET!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love the token. congrats on the two awesome finds

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one of those tokens earlier this year and then found a Green River Whiskey bottle cap a few hunts later to go with it. I also found 2 Large Cents so far this year, they were toasted but I still managed to find the years (1824, 1831). Your LC is in very nice condition, I wish I could find one like yours. Great finds!

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To me that LC is perfect. Also I would think any further removal would damage details because what's left is the patina. I wouldn't even oil it, the color it has now is ATTRACTIVE! Congrats. Also that is a huge token.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! Your call on the LC, but I'd leave it- I'd hate to risk ruining something that looks that nice..

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own opinion, but I soak all of my coppers in olive oil for a week. To me, it gives them a better look and does help to bring out some detail in the coin. I've been doing it this way for 30 years, and I don't believe it has ruined one yet. I soak Indian Heads, Large Cents, 2 Cent pieces and copper tokens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread