Green Stones from Lake Michigan--NOT Greenstone

amelissa

Apr 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been picking these up on the shore of Lake Michigan (Chicago specifically) but I'm having trouble identifying them, since searches for "lake michigan green stone" and variations thereof only turn up pages about chlorastrolite, which I'm pretty sure they aren't. They're a soft grey-green color, but in places where they're pitted or areas seem to have been worn away they're a darker grey, as if the green is just an outer layer. Any idea what they might be?

green stone 1.jpg

green stone 2.jpg

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
There is a thread here called "Got a rock you want identified" or something close to that. Do a search & it should come up. Several people there can help you. Good luck.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a variety of copper minerals in your region so I can speculate that you may have a very low grade form of Chrysoprase. It definitely looks silicate with some large compacted crystals. Chysoprase is usually a Chalcedony form of quartz with no real crystal definition but when quartz is on the border of large and small crystalline matrix it can pick up the copper coloration. My thoughts.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Brake one up and post a picture of the fresh surface. Can you scratch it with a knife? Probably quartz of some sort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread