Green Tourmaline? Diopside? Not sure about these.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are three specimen and the two smaller ones seem a little different than the large piece.
The large piece is so deep green that it appears black until you get some light on it. Any ideas?
124_1624.JPG 124_1626.JPG 124_1627.JPG

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone really needs to trust themselves on their own identification, because 85% of the time their own thoughts tell them what something is..
Just wanted to add here.. Not sure if you've heard of the term "Road Cut" this is where the state has make plans to create new highways and simply cut away parts of mounds or hill sides.. thus revealing a variety of rocks and minerals.. While we have family in TN ourselves.. we tend to encounter these road cuts when new grounds for businesses are being built. The last road cut was are Bojangles near Johnson City.. The wife went into the restaurant while I was combing the hill side.. let's just say.. everyone stopped eating just to watch em search the hill.. ending up finding several ill formed thunder eggs and one was cracked up revealing the crystals inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure looks like tourmaline, but the large one looks different. I'm not so sure about that one.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless your finding garnets in the area, diopside garnets are unlikely. Stonewhisper is correct in my opinion. The larger bit is a fractured bit of black tourmaline though it looks to have some greening in it. Not to bad for color in the smaller bits.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, the large piece is also tourmaline.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a whole sandwich bag full of this stuff.....if I could only find it! :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large one looks like epidote with titanite (sphene). Small piece under light also looks like titanite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a possibility. They look a lot alike! Found them in Tennessee.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. BruntBear I wanted to ask a question. Does the blue looking Tourmaline turn your fingers that color when you wash the stones. Reason I ask I have a bunch of quartz crystals that has this blue looking stuff that looked black until I soaked it overnight in Super Ironout and it turned the liquid blue in the bucket. When I rinsed them off my fingers were blue black looking. The quartz crystals have a light blue tint to them.Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread