Greta Van Fleet - If You Like Retro Rock These Guys Are Good!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible name for an all Male Band imo
may as well call themselves greta van susteren or roseanna roseanna :tongue3:

First song Tune reminds me of several others, Opening yell, Led Zepplin Robert Plant.
then Dirty Laundry by Don Henley.
when he sings "We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five"
I haven't figured the rest yet. Maybe back to Zepplins influence.

Second song really Rocks :coffee2:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is this video TH ?

Roughly... in other words... is this a recent band ?

They definitely have a Zeppelin sound.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have serious potential to be the next big thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as per Wiki :

Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band formed in 2012. The band members are Josh Kiszka, Jake Kiszka, Sam Kiszka, and Danny Wagner.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible name for an all Male Band imo
may as well call themselves greta van susteren or roseanna roseanna :tongue3:

First song Tune reminds me of several others, Opening yell, Led Zepplin Robert Plant.
then Dirty Laundry by Don Henley.
when he sings "We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five"
I haven't figured the rest yet. Maybe back to Zepplins influence.

Second song really Rocks :coffee2:

I actually like the name for some odd reason...

And why... does it have a "female ring" to it IYO ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second song is even better than the first.
Very good actually.

Thanks for turning me on to them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so just returning from YouTube searches...

Seems the Zep thing is part of the MO... and saw an early vid in Russia doing "whole lotta love" which was dead on...

Not such an easy thing to pull of by any stretch of the imagination as a whole IMO.

Crazy.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now watching another Zep cover... dead on again. sheesh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I ONLY heard this .... did not see it... and someone said... "this is an early Zeppelin bootleg before they were big in some bar"...

I would absolutely believe it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually like the name for some odd reason...

And why... does it have a "female ring" to it IYO ?

Sorry Was still Editing above.

The Name Greta is Female to Me.
I suppose you could Counter with Alice Cooper
but adding the van as I said above, makes me think "greta van susteren" Not a Happy thought to me :unhappysmiley:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching live at the Troubador now... killer good.

Crazy... playing the Troubador at their age.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Personally, I feel Greta's rendition of "A Change is Going to Come" is a disaster compared to an 'old school' rendition of this same song--sung by one of the best all time soul singers Sam Cooke. Granted, tastes change with each generation, but for me, Cooke's and others old school renditions of this song are still the best. Sample this:

Don......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Was still Editing above.

The Name Greta is Female to Me.
I suppose you could Counter with Alice Cooper
but adding the van as I said above, makes me think "greta van susteren" Not a Happy thought to me :unhappysmiley:

I partied hard with Alice Coopers band... particularly the drummer...
met him (Alice) that night for a brief discussion of the jacket I was wearing that he wanted to trade for... which I declined.

Had him sign a few things as gifts for some fans I knew back in states.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The band name was created when one of its members heard a relative mention Gretna Van Fleet, a resident of Frankenmuth Mi.

From Rolling Stone Magazine..

"
The four members of the Michigan band Greta Van Fleet look, act and sound like they were grown in the lab of some classic-rock-loving mad scientist. How else to explain a group of kids who go around dropping references to Vanilla Fudge's Carmine Appice and Free's Paul Kossoff, who cover Fairport Convention and Howlin' Wolf – and who, by the way, make huge, throwback, blues-riff-riding rock that often sounds preposterously, uncannily close to newly unearthed Led Zeppelin tracks? "We are like a bunch of old men," acknowledges pixieish, curly-headed frontman Josh Kiszka, possessor of a blowtorch of a high tenor, with casual access to notes that Robert Plant misplaced during the Carter administration.

The singer, who was starring in high school plays not long ago, is sipping tea on an early-December afternoon in the band's dressing room at New York's Bowery Ballroom, sporting the same college-production-of-Hairlook he'll wear onstage tonight for a sold-out show: blouse-y kurta, ankle-high jeans, moccasins, a tribal necklace he believes to be African in origin. ("He's always worn weird ****," says Jake Kiszka, the band's longhaired, justifiably self-assured guitarist, who's more of a T-shirt-and-skinny-jeans guy.)

There was (probably) no laboratory involved, but three of the members are family: Josh and Jake are 21-year-old twins, while bassist-keyboardist Sam Kiszka is their 18-year-old brother – in their cover-band days, they had him playing biker bars at age 12. As it turns out, their dad is a chemist with a serious record collection and a harmonica-playing habit, and their mom is a former science teacher (their grandpa, meanwhile, is in the Polka Hall of Fame). The fourth member is strong-footed drummer Danny Wagner, 18, one of the few other kids in their tiny town of Frankenmuth who shared his friends' prodigious musical gifts and time-warped sensibilities – their classmates didn't even know what to call the odd music they liked, except "old."

As incongruous as the whole Greta Van Fleet experience may be, it's catching on, and quickly. Veteran exec Jason Flom – who helped launch Paramore, Lorde and Kid Rock – snatched them up for a major-label deal. The first song they ever wrote, "Highway Tune," hit Number One on mainstream rock radio, or at least what's left of it. And their flat-out incredible live shows are attracting more and more fans close to their own age – something that first seemed possible back when they played their high school's homecoming dance, and the kids freaked out.

As Josh and Sam tell it, Greta Van Fleet landed on their Seventies-rock sound by tracing the same blues-and-soul influences that shaped older bands, rather than through direct imitation – although even their earliest gigs were heavy on Cream covers, plus the occasional Bad Company tune. As a kid, Sam remembers listening to "all the Kings – B.B. King, Albert King, Freddie King – and then, like, Buddy Guy."
"I didn't know who ****ing Led Zeppelin was until I was in high school," Josh adds. The story goes that his Plant-ian shriek simply came out in practice one day as he struggled to be heard over the band. "We stopped," recalls Jake, "and were like, 'Whatever you just did, keep doing that, 'cause it sounds badass.' "
Jake does cop to careful scrutiny of Jimmy Page – among many other guitarists, including Pete Townshend. "I went through a year of really intensely studying what Page did," says Jake, "to the point where I knew how he thought."
r1305_fob_greta_van_fleet_c-7674c849-ec47-4bc6-a7e2-cacf1d8bf4fb.jpg
Greta Van Fleet's Josh and Jake Kiszka at New York's Bowery Ballroom Will Oliver
They're not altogether averse to newer music, citing, among other acts, Fleet Foxes, Rival Sons, the Shins and especially the Black Keys, whose 2012 Rolling Stone cover decorated their garage rehearsal space for years. "Our dad brought the Magic Potion album home, and we're like, 'Wow, this is contemporary music?' " says Sam, whose long hair and boyish features make him look like a lost Hanson brother – albeit one who's a phenomenally melodic bass player, when he's not switching to organ and handling the low end via foot pedals, à la Ray Manzarek. But unlike the Keys, none of Greta Van Fleet's members are hip-hop fans, and they can truly sound decades older than their years when they talk about current music. "People are doing it for the wrong reasons," says Sam. "They are not doing it to change the world. They are doing it to make money."

Before Greta Van Fleet – who are named after a local woman named Gretna Van Fleet – can change the world, they have to finish their first album. It'll follow their eight-song EP, From the Fires, which had six originals (there's also an excellent cover of Fairport's "Meet on the Ledge" – and an ill-conceived version of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come"). The LP will be all-new songs, most already written, with time carved out in early 2018 to record.

In the meantime, they're having fun. Jake takes a preshow swig from a bottle of Jack Daniel's each night – "a rock & roll ritual," he calls it. But they swear that they're going to keep it all in check. "Everything that you hear about the rock & roll lifestyle is true," says Josh, wide-eyed. "All of those wild, absurd things that you would like to romanticize about are very honest truth. The amount of excess always around. The amount of women that always want to hang out. It really is all there. It's tempting, and it's crazy stuff." He smiles. "But we don't seem to have too much interest." He almost sells the line, too. "

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...on-led-zeppelin-influence-blues-roots-w515153

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread